By default, the display backlight for the lion’s share of smartphones is shifted to the “blue” region of the spectrum, which for our eyes is associated with a bright and warm sun. Turn on this in the middle of the night – the brain reflexively confuses the time of day, quickly redirects hormonal flows and makes you awake instead of creating a blissful atmosphere for sleep.
♥ ON THIS TOPIC: New in iOS 14: How to hide unwanted application pages from the home screen on iPhone and iPad.
Healthy sleep is healthy everything else, including the psychological state of the consumer, and therefore it is profitable for manufacturers of equipment for constant use to invest in solving problems in this area. Apple blocked the distribution of jailbreak utilities like F.lux, probably out of harm and resentment, because savvy developers were ahead of the IT giant. Be that as it may, the technology has been adopted everywhere and is now positioned as one of the useful options of most (the function works on iOS 9.3 and higher) of new Apple gadgets.
Its essence is that when night falls, the iPhone display automatically begins to emit in a warm color, away from the insidious blue. But why is he so dangerous?
- Upon seeing daylight, the brain stops producing the hormone melatonin. The latter is responsible for the circadian rhythm of the whole organism – this is akin to a cry for all organs “Rise!”
- Involuntarily waking up from blue light will ruin your memory the next day.
- Those who do not get enough sleep do not study, are unable to remember the list of important things to do, listen carefully to the boss, etc.
- Man is a daytime creature, whose perception is 70% formed by sight. Even imitation of sunlight makes the eyes work and fatigue beyond normal.
- Constantly tired eyes are one step closer to cataracts than those who are allowed to rest regularly.
- There is a relationship between interrupted sleep function and the risk of prostate and breast cancer – a threat to both men and women.
- If you disturb sleep, you get a dose of neurotoxins. The more there are, the more difficult it is to fall asleep and wake up in general.
- Broken internal clocks and a lack of melatonin are the godparents of depression.
- If sleep is interrupted, why not have breakfast out of turn? Especially on an instinctive level. Blue light can be blamed for being overweight for many users.
In order not to forget to turn on Night Shift, activate the schedule setting, which will automatically turn on and off the mode depending on the time of day. Night Shift options are along the way: Settings → Display & Brightness → Night Shift…
Here, in the mode settings, you must set the level of the desired screen temperature. It is advisable to choose a warmer shade.
Alternatively, Night Shift can be turned on from Control Center. To do this, press and hold your finger on the screen brightness slider, then press the Night Shift button on the screen that appears.
♥ BY TOPIC: Tap iPhone Cover – Take a screenshot: How to bind actions to tap on the back of an iPhone.
That blue light is the enemy of normal sleep is by and large beyond doubt. But is its absence a condition for a good rest, or is it more of a trick of marketers? There is no correct answer, but the position of specialized scientists is closer to the last statement. The fact is that the influence of a smartphone on sleep function is multifaceted and is not limited to one contact of the eyes and the display. The Night Shift mode only helps to minimize stress for your beloved eyes – this fact has already been noted by many authoritative reviewers.
Business Insider interviewed sleep expert Erin Brodwin, and then compiled a list of top-priority factors that really prevent people who like to spend their leisure time with a smartphone in their arms from falling asleep:
- Did I like the last post? No wonder that social media activity is akin to drugs.
- What’s going on in the world! Thoughts involuntarily return to the last viewed news.
- What if the email / message has already arrived? Work does not let go in bed.
- Someone on the Internet is wrong! How can you fall asleep if justice is not done?
- Any other brain activity triggered by work in the information space. The smartphone is just a window there, which you need to be able to slam shut on time, and not right before bed.
The absence of blue light will not help in any way those who suffer from insomnia from heavy thoughts. But practice shows that the most reliable way to fall asleep is to keep the iPhone away from bed, and to pass yourself away from the temptation for a minute or two doing the usual thing. Above all, do not miss the alarm!