New Year’s holidays become for many a life trait that separates the old way of life from the new. It is almost impossible to stay away from a feast and abundant libations in the company of friends and relatives, but starting the year off alcohol seems to be a reasonable measure. And someone ties up for a while, while someone radically changes their life, making it completely sober. And even a glass of beer or wine at dinner becomes redundant. Not only does the mind no longer succumb to the influence of alcohol, so our body reacts to the refusal of alcohol. We will tell you what begins to happen to him.
♥ BY TOPIC: Ventriloquists (ventrologists), or how to speak and sing without opening your mouth (video).
Of course, there is a place for half measures in the “drink” or “not drink” approach. It is one thing to drink half a bottle of wine or a glass with 100 ml of cognac, another thing is a small glass of wine for dinner. Doctors say that we can talk about safe doses of alcohol, which will not lead to an increase in health risks either now or in the near future. Acceptable doses of alcohol have been studied in many countries for many years, but experts have not come to a consensus. In search of the best advice, it is better to turn to the WHO recommendations.
That’s just this organization has several documents at once, which contain conflicting information about the permissible doses of alcohol. The AUDIT test documentation describes the low risk of alcohol consumption as 20 g of pure product per day. Translated into vodka, this is 63 ml, for wine – 200 ml of 12.5% drink or 500 5% beer. It is recommended to consume no more than 100 g of alcohol per week for both men and women. The document recommends at least 2 days a week not to consume strong drinks at all.
But another recommendation of the same WHO says about a threshold of 20 g of pure alcohol per day for women, while for men the allowable rate is twice as high. In a week, respectively, you can consume up to 140 g and up to 280 g of alcohol, respectively. There is no information about the days of abstinence at all. But for patients with alcoholism, it makes no sense to talk about safe doses – as soon as you start, a binge is immediately formed.
In biochemistry, maximum single doses of alcohol are determined, but this is not at all the same as safe doses. From a scientific point of view, it is believed that negative consequences will occur when consuming 1 gram of alcohol per 1 kg of body weight in men and 0.5-0.7 grams of alcohol per 1 kg of body weight in women.
♥ BY TOPIC: Top cities in the world: 28 places with the highest living standards.
How small doses of alcohol affect the body?
The ability of alcohol to liquefy cell membranes is known, which makes them more fluid. That is why alcohol so actively influences the nerve cells that it causes toxic damage to the entire nervous system. The walls of the stomach and duodenum are also strongly affected. It is no coincidence that alcohol abuse can lead to stomach or intestinal ulcers, erosive hemorrhagic gastritis. An increased dose of alcohol forces the body to activate adaptive mechanisms, protecting the cell walls from rapid damage. It consists in increasing the content of cholesterol in the membrane. But such changes also affect all active structures associated with it: receptors, immune and enzyme complexes. They begin to work differently: the consumption of oxygen in the cells increases, they constantly demand it and do not tolerate the lack of it well. As a result, the heart muscle may lack oxygen during exercise. Such deficiency can cause ischemia and myocardial infarction. In general, the body’s immunity decreases, it begins to resist infections worse.
“Relaxation”, which alcohol is famous for, should not be abused – the opposite effect may form. Excitatory neurotransmitters begin to be produced in the body, and in a state of sobriety, we will begin to feel anxiety, anxiety and tension. And alcohol tolerance will gradually increase. As a result, more and more doses have to be taken to relax and intoxicate.
♥ BY TOPIC: Who has the most followers on Instagram – 40 most popular accounts.
How does a complete rejection of alcohol affect the body?
With the rejection of alcohol over time, the balance of neurotransmitters in the brain normalizes. A person will become calmer, his constant irritability, stress will go away, the quality of sleep and efficiency will increase.
And here is a list of specific changes with the body and body:
- The complexion will become healthier, the redness caused by the expansion of capillaries will subside. And the puffiness will also pass.
- Immunity will improve.
- Body weight is stabilized and maybe even reduced, bowel function improves. The fact is that alcohol is considered a high-calorie product. If it provides from 7% to 10% of the body’s daily energy requirement, then the metabolic process will proceed normally. But abuse can lead to the fact that up to half of the energy will be given by alcoholic beverages. As a result, the mechanism of absorption of substances in the intestine will change. The body will no longer receive the nutrients it needs. Against this background, the negative impact of alcohol will only intensify.
- The liver will work better, the organ will finally begin its original function – a natural filter and will neutralize other toxins in the body.
- Dopamine metabolism will become normal, due to which the brain will increase its efficiency. A person will be able to concentrate longer, work with information. As a result, in a state of sobriety, due to increased efficiency, a person will be able to do much more than in times of even moderate alcohol consumption.
- The cholesterol level is lowered, which will help maintain the health of the heart and blood vessels for longer. Alcohols affect the metabolic processes of fatty acids in the heart muscle, there are 3-4 times more of them. In other words, alcohol gradually destroys the heart’s natural defenses against atherosclerosis and heart attack.
- Dehydration is a classic companion of intoxication, which causes imbalance in water and electrolyte balance. But the frequent use of alcohol causes the body to gradually get used to this state. As a result, it will begin to retain liquid even without drinking strong drinks. Such changes can lead to the development of arterial hypertension.
- Women will be able to delay the onset of menopause and maintain their fertility longer.
- The likelihood of malignant tumors of different localization will also decrease. It is known that in 75% of cases of larynx and oral cavity cancer, every second case of liver cancer and every fourth case of breast cancer are associated with alcohol abuse.