iOS is the simplest operating system from the point of view of interaction with an inexperienced user, and this is one of the main reasons for the popularity of the iPhone and iPad among absolutely all categories of the population. Almost any user can solve problems that have arisen in the iOS software environment and even reinstall the OS on their own.
♥ BY TOPIC: Which iPhone holds the battery better? Comparison of the battery life of all current iPhones in 2021.
What is iOS and what types of updates are there
So, iOS is a software shell that controls the hardware modules of the iPhone or iPad. The main advantage of this operating system is that it is produced by the manufacturer of mobile gadgets – Apple. In addition, developers of third-party applications also focus on a fairly narrow range of devices, which means that there are almost no problems with compatibility, choice of software version and installation.
Another important nuance is that Apple distributes its operating systems for free, without any hidden conditions (required subscriptions for products or services, the presence of paid previous versions, etc.). That is, you can download the current firmware version for your device from the official website, without the risk of installing a pirated copy with malware.
Apple releases 3 types of iOS updates:
1. Official (final)…
2. Beta versions for registered developers…
3. Beta versions for regular users registered in the Public Beta Testing Program…
We talked in more detail about all types of iOS updates here.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to transfer a password from Wi-Fi to someone else’s iPhone or iPad “in one tap” without revealing it.
How to find out which version of iOS is currently installed on your iPhone or iPad
To find out which system controls the device at the moment, you need to go to the menu “Settings → The main → About this device “ and pay attention to the line “Software version “…
To check for iOS updates for this device, return to the previous menu “Settings → Basic “ , select the item “Software Update” and wait for the data to load.
The reasons why updates may not appear on an iOS device are described in this article.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to clear memory on iPhone or iPad: 40 ways.
How to install the new (latest) iOS on your iPhone or iPad
The easiest way is to reflash the iPhone “over the air”. To do this, just go to the above-mentioned section “Settings → The main → Software Update”, press the button “Download and install “… In this case, all available data will be saved on the device. It is important to remember that the installation of iOS “over the air” should never be done if there is a jailbreak on the device.
To completely reinstall iOS via iTunes (on Windows), or Finder (on Mac), you will need to perform a slightly more complex algorithm of actions, which is described in detail in this material. In this case, you will need an up-to-date version of iOS for a specific iPhone or iPad.
♥ BY TOPIC: What QR codes can the iPhone camera read: 10 use cases…
Where to download the latest iOS IPSW files for any iPhone or iPad
Apple does not allow installing outdated versions of the operating system on its mobile devices (i.e. rolling back or downgrading the iOS version), so only the latest firmware released for it will be available for each gadget.
What’s the latest version of iOS for iPhone
- For iPhone 2G, the latest possible firmware to install is iOS 3.1.3;
- iPhone 3G – iOS 4.2.1
- iPhone 3Gs – iOS 6.1.6
- iPhone 4 – iOS 7.1.2
- iPhone 4s – iOS 9.3.6
- iPhone 5 / 5c – iOS 10.3.4
- iPhone 5s – iOS 12.5.1
- iPhone 6/6 Plus – iOS iOS 12.5.1
- iPhone 6s / 6s Plus – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone SE – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone 7/7 Plus – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone 8/8 Plus – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone X – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone XR – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone XS / XS Max – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone SE 2 – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone 11 – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone 11 Pro – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone 12 – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone 12 mini – iOS 14.4.1
- iPhone 12 Pro / 12 Pro Max – iOS 14.4.1
What’s the latest version of iOS for iPod Touch
- iPod Touch 2G – iOS 4.2.1
- iPod Touch 3G – iOS 5.1.1
- iPod Touch 4G – iOS 6.1.6
- iPod Touch 5G – iOS 9.3.5
- iPod Touch 6G – iOS 12.5.1
- iPod Touch 7G – iOS 14.4.1
What’s the latest version of iOS / iPadOS for iPad
- iPad 1 – iOS 5.1.1
- iPad 2 – iOS 9.3.6
- iPad 3 – iOS 9.3.6
- iPad 4 – iOS 10.3.4
- iPad 5 (2017) – iPadOS 14.4.1
- iPad 6 (2018) – iPadOS 14.4.1
- iPad 7 (2019) – iPadOS 14.4.1
- iPad 8 (2020) – iPadOS 14.4.1
- iPad mini 1 – iPadOS 9.3.6
- iPad mini 2 – iPadOS 12.5.1
- iPad mini 3 – iPadOS 12.5.1
- iPad mini 4 – iPadOS 14.4.1
- iPad mini 5 – iPadOS 14.4.1
- iPad Air 1 – iPadOS 12.5.1
- iPad Air 2 – iPadOS 14.4.1
- iPad Air 3 – iPadOS 14.4.1
- iPad Air 4 – iPadOS 14.4.1
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro – iPadOS 14.4.1
- 10.5-inch iPad Pro – iPadOS 14.4.1
- 11-inch iPad Pro (1st & 2nd generation) – iPadOS 14.4.1
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generations) – iPadOS 14.4.1
All the necessary IPSW files for installing iOS can be downloaded from the official Apple website using the links posted here.