It is difficult to imagine a modern apartment without a Wi-Fi network. Not only smartphones and laptops are connected to it, but also TVs, smart devices. This is why the question of choosing a router is becoming so important. The router must provide the fastest possible Internet access speed with the lowest latency, as well as reliable reception conditions. Tenda offers to solve this issue with the help of an inexpensive but very functional Tenda AC8 router.
The device received gigabit Ethernet ports and can operate in two wireless ranges, and its appearance attracts attention.
Tenda AC8 specifications
|Standards and protocols||IEEE802.3, IEEE802.3u, IEEE802.3ab|
|Interfaces||1 WAN port × 10/100/1000 Mbps
3 LAN ports × 10/100/1000 Mbps
|Antennas||4 × 6 dBi, external dual band antennas|
|Buttons||1 × WPS / Reset|
|Power supply||100 – 240 V – 50/60 Hz
9 V / 1 A
|LED indication||1 × LED indicator|
|Dimensions||200 x 127 x 33.6 mm|
|Wi-Fi standards||IEEE 802.11ac / a / n – 5 GHz
IEEE 802.11b / g / n – 2.4 GHz
|Wi-Fi speed||2.4GHz: 300Mbps
5 GHz: 867 Mbps
|Working frequency||2.4 and 5 GHz|
|Wireless Security||WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK, WPA / WPA2|
|Internet connection type||PPPoE, Dynamic IP, Static IP|
|Operating modes||Router, Access Point, Repeater, WISP|
|Virtual server||Port forwarding
|Firewall||Ban WAN PING|
|Other functions||Broadband control
Cloning a MAC address
Configuration backup and restore
|Temperature||Working temperature: 0 ℃ ~ 40 ℃
Storage temperature: -40 ℃ ~ 70 ℃
|Humidity||Working humidity: 10% ~ 90%
Storage humidity: 5% ~ 90%
|Default settings||tendawifi.com, 192.168.0.1|
|Tenda AC8 page on the official website||Link|
|Buy Tenda AC8||Link|
Tenda AC8 delivery set
The device comes in a medium-sized black and red box. It shows the router itself and lists all its capabilities and characteristics. Moreover, there is a comparison table on the packaging. Based on it, even a not particularly technical buyer will be able to understand how this model is superior to the previous one, AC5 and the base N301.
In addition to the device itself, the box itself contains the usual set in such cases: a 9 V / 1 A power supply, a standard Ethernet cable, a set of documentation in Russian and a warranty card.
Designed by Tenda AC8
The appearance of most routers repeats each other – a plastic box with rounded edges. But against this background, Tenda AC8 surprises, which is unusual for a device in this price range. The router looks solid, sounding like a reliable industrial or daring gaming solution. And all thanks to the beveled arcuate ends and edges on the top cover. For this design, Tenda routers are called “Batman routers” on the network.
The router does not flash with multiple indicator lights – after all, this is not a Christmas tree, but a serious device. There is only one indicator here. The blue LED is located directly in the bulging center edge of the top cover. You shouldn’t blame the manufacturer for being stingy – such a decision seems understandable and appropriate.
The designers decided not to flirt with the catchy, but not practical gloss. Tenda AC8 case is made of black and rough plastic. Gloss can be seen only in the embossed company logos.
Antennas are attached to the left and right ends, and a couple more are attached to the rear. The assembly is quite tight, the elements are fixed securely. There are three slots on the side ends for cooling the insides.
On the rear panel, in addition to antennas, you can see a power connector, a WPS / Reset button and four yellow Ethernet ports. One of them is WAN for connecting an external line and 3 more ports for LAN.
The bottom panel contains: a sticker with service information, including the default login and password, four plastic legs and a pair of holes for attaching the router to the wall. Ventilation holes are densely and evenly applied throughout the area.
Setting up and managing Tenda AC8
Modern routers provide the most user-friendly settings. If earlier it was necessary to connect a computer to them with a network cable and go to the desired website, now this can be done using a smartphone and a proprietary application.
How to set up Tenda AC8 using a computer
1. Connect the router to the power supply using the adapter included in the package. The LED indicator on the front of the router will start blinking.
2. Connect the Ethernet cable from the modem with configured Internet to the WAN port of the Tenda AC8 router. After connecting to the Internet, the LED indicator will light up constantly.
3. Open Wi-Fi settings on your computer. Two new Wi-Fi points should appear in the list of available networks, one of which will be called Tendaand the second Tenda_A0DA20 (numerical and alphabetic values on the second may be different).
4. Connect to one of the appeared Wi-Fi points of the Tenda AC8 router. Connection is made without entering a password.
5. Open your browser and go to tendawifi.com or IP address 192.168.0.1.
6. The web interface of the Tenda AC8 router will open.
7. Enter the password for the wireless network shown on the sticker in the line PIN number on the bottom of the router. Here you can change the name of the access point. Click on To accept…
8. After applying the settings, disconnection from the initially created public wireless network will occur. Open Wi-Fi settings on your computer and connect to a new Wi-Fi point, taking into account the specified password.
9. Go back to the router setup web page by browsing to 192.168.0.1 or tendawifi.com in your browser. The main control panel will open in front of you.
In it at the top right, you can choose one of several languages, including Russian. There are 9 tabs in total:
Status… It shows general information about the network configuration and devices connected to it, as well as the download and upload speed in real time.
Internet settings. The tab allows you to change the operating mode of the router: router, universal repeater, AP and the type of connection to the provider.
Wireless network settings. This section allows the router to select the preferred band (work with one SSID in two frequency bands, making switching to the optimal one), as well as enable / disable the wireless network, set a name for it, select a security mode, password, signal level and other thematic settings.
Bandwidth control. You can set limits for the download and upload speed of the Internet for devices connected to the router, as well as the access itself there. You can also see the black list right there.
Parental control. The router will show how long the devices connected to it have been on the network, you can set an access schedule for them by limiting visits to websites.
Sleep mode. Here you can turn off the only light indicator if it bothers you and configure the schedule for the wireless network activity.
Additional… In this section, you can configure black or white list, port forwarding, dynamic DNS, enable IPTV and bind MAC to IP address.
IPv6… This tab allows you to configure IPv6. When you activate the corresponding switch, the setting fields will appear.
Control… Quite an extensive section that configures the basic parameters of the router. Here you can set a password for accessing it, clone the MAC address of the local host, set the speed of Internet access and configure the addressing of the internal network. There is an option to activate remote web control, set time and date, as well as system functions: reboot, reset, backup, flashing.
All sections seem to be clear, there is no senseless heap of complex functions – the device is intended for home use.
How to set up Tenda AC8 using the official app
1. Download the mobile application Tenda Wi-Fi on iPhone, iPad (link) or Android device (link).
2. Open the app Tenda Wi-Fi and go through the registration procedure. This will allow you to control your router from anywhere on the planet.
3. Connect the router to the power supply using the adapter included in the package. The LED indicator on the front of the router will start blinking.
4. Connect the Ethernet cable from the modem with configured Internet to the WAN port of the Tenda AC8 router. After connecting to the Internet, the LED indicator will light up continuously.
5. Open Wi-Fi settings on your mobile device. Two new Wi-Fi points should appear in the list of available networks, one of which will be called Tenda, and the second Tenda_A0DA20 (numeric and alphabetic values on the second may be different).
6. Connect to one of the appeared Wi-Fi points of the Tenda AC8 router. Connection is made without entering a password.
7. Run the application again Tenda Wi-Fi… Click the button Further…
8. Enter the password for the wireless network shown on the sticker in the line PIN number on the bottom of the router. Here you can change the name of the access point. Click on OK…
After that, the router will be rebooted to apply the parameters.
9. After applying the settings, disconnection from the initially created public wireless network will occur. Open the Wi-Fi settings on your mobile device again and connect to the new Wi-Fi point, taking into account the specified password.
10. Open the app Tenda Wi-Fi… The program will detect the connected router. Click on Manage now and enter your account password (PIN numberindicated on the bottom of the router).
There are three tabs available in the application: Devices, Vault, Tools… But the second is designed to work with a USB storage device, which Tenda AC8 lacks.
The first tab displays the connected devices, which can be set to speed limits, blocked, given names and notes. You can also estimate traffic consumption by clients.
The last tab contains all the other tools for setting up a wired and wireless network, including: creating a schedule, transmitter power settings, updates, security checks, etc.
In theory, the utility provides the home user with basic information and a basic set of tools.
Tenda AC8 performance and hands-on experience
The Tenda AC8 router received a rather powerful Realtek chip, operating at 1 GHz and made using 28-nanometer technology. This solution is 40% more efficient than analogs on old 40nm chips. All 4 Ethernet ports of the router operate at speeds up to 1 Gbps, and the wireless network is deployed in two bands – 2.4 GHz (up to 300 Mbps) and 5 GHz (up to 867 Mbps). Thus, the total width of the two channels theoretically reaches 1167 Mbit / s. Four external 6dBi omnidirectional antennas are capable of covering up to 90 squares and even penetrating double walls. Beamforming technology provides the most stable signal even in complex room geometries. The directional beam goes towards the device consuming traffic, while budget solutions usually distribute the signal evenly in all directions.
The router gives priority to the 5 GHz frequency, working on it with devices that support this standard. This approach is understandable – in modern apartment buildings, more and more often, the air is clogged with many 2.4 GHz networks. It is difficult to achieve stable performance in this range. And Tenda AC8 can choose the optimal frequency by itself by activating the preferred band option in the settings.
Gigabit ports are quite capable of providing high speed data exchange in a local network. This option for the WAN port is suitable when connecting to the Internet via optics. When connected to a router via Wi-Fi, the speed corresponds to the maximum provided by the provider to the WAN port.
In the price category up to 3,000 rubles, it is difficult to find a truly productive device that can operate in two bands and have, moreover, gigabit Ethernet ports. The Tenda AC8 router is built on a powerful platform that allows it to provide reliable and fast operation. It is worth noting the unusual design of Tenda AC8, which makes the device also distinctive, distinguishing it from competitors. Setting up a router is simple and straightforward, the functionality necessary for the home is implemented.
Buy router Tenda AC8