Almost all users who migrated from Windows to macOS look with bewilderment at the standard options for viewing photos. After all, here you can’t just open and flip through the images – everywhere there are some incomprehensible nuances. In this article, we will tell you how to properly work with navigation when viewing images using standard macOS tools, and also offer several options from third-party developers.
♥ BY THEME: Launchpad on Mac: what it is and how to set it up correctly to use it.
In general, according to the intention of the developers from Apple, we should all use the “Photos” application. But you, just like the rest of the majority, may simply not understand why you need to constantly import something somewhere, create separate albums and at the same time run a separate application, if everything can be looked at in Explorer, where the files are sorted into folders with your own hands.
♥ BY THEME: 4 ways to select (highlight) files on Mac (macOS)…
Quick View, View and Finder
Opening an image in File Explorer launches the application “View“. Still, there is a possibility of flipping through the photo with the arrows (left and right) on the keyboard. There are three ways out of the situation:
1. Highlight the first (or any other) image in the folder and press Space (or the keyboard shortcut Command (⌘) + Y). Surely you know that the spacebar launches the standard Quick View application, which allows you to view almost any file without launching specialized programs with which they are associated. In the “Quick View” you can switch photos using the arrows on the keyboard (up, down or left, right).
And if in the mode “Quick view“(When images have been selected and clicked Space) press the keyboard shortcut Command (⌘) + Enter (Return), then you can open a preview of all selected images for quick navigation and switching between them.
2. Highlight all or required images for viewing and start slideshow mode… To do this, hold down the key Alt (Option ⎇) and open the menu File → Slide Show Objects … or just remember the keyboard shortcut Command (⌘) + Alt (Option ⎇) + Y… If you want to manually switch images, just pause the slideshow and use the arrows on your keyboard or trackpad.
And there is also a very convenient option “Index List“(Icon with squares). By clicking on it, you can see a grid of all images and quickly find and switch to the required one.
3. View (view) “Gallery” in the Finder also allows you to quickly view folders with photos on your Mac through an expanded preview pane and detailed metadata. However, this preview is still not good enough to find the best shots. This Finder functionality works great for basic scripts, but it lacks powerful navigation controls and information retrieval.
If all the described ways of solving the issue of viewing images by standard means seem too complicated for you, we suggest downloading and enjoying the software from third-party developers.
You don’t need heavy apps like Apple Photos or Adobe Lightroom or complex databases to update and organize your collection when displaying images. We’ll walk you through some of the best photo viewing apps for macOS with unique features that you can use.
♥ BY THEME: How to invoke and work with the Dock in macOS using hotkeys…
XnView MP is a multifunctional application for viewing and organizing multimedia, which is almost analogous to the popular ACDSee program. XnView MP provides many features that are often found only in paid software. These are tools for classifying and sorting photos, batch operations for processing multiple images, the ability to edit metadata and support for 500 image formats.
When you first start XnView MP, you will see three panels. On the left is the file system displayed by the Finder with three tabs. Folders allow you to view a list of folders on your computer. The photos you like become visible in Chosen… At the same time the tab Filter by category consists of pre-configured categories that allow you to combine and tag them at the same time.
The center pane shows thumbnails of the images selected in the left window. By moving the slider, you can adjust their size. Also on the menu View it is possible to select the type of presentation to show more / less details or set up auto-scaling of images. In addition, xnView allows you to sort images by title, date and file size, or even filter by rating, tags, comments or tags.
By default, there are panels at the bottom of the program: Preview, Categories and Informationthat allow you to quickly view the image, add it to the appropriate categories, as well as familiarize yourself with the file properties, histogram and EXIF data.
- Support for non-standard and legacy formats, as well as Photoshop, Corel, Autodesk, and HEIF (High Efficiency Image File Format) file types. The program also handles handwritten characters for file and folder names in different languages.
- The application processes the RAW format and uses the GPU for performance, caching, and processing. It also fully supports 8/16/32 bit internal image bit depth per component.
- XnView gives you a variety of customization options. You can freely arrange layouts according to your needs. To create your own layout go to the menu View…
- The app integrates with XnConvert to help you convert, batch resize images, and apply various kinds of settings. These include rotation, watermarks, filters, fancy effects, and more.
- XnView lets you create your own slideshows and project them to another monitor. You can customize the timer (or keyboard tap transition), screen size, transition effects, and background music.
Free download XnView MP (official site of the developer)
♥ BY THEME: How to fine-tune macOS without Terminal: 4 useful utilities.
ApolloOne is an intuitive image viewer that lets you organize your photos efficiently. The application has a built-in engine for processing RAW from cameras, which makes it possible to quickly preview the footage before importing it. ApolloOne gives you access to various local and network folders via Places… To customize them, click ⌘Cmd + N or press the button Browser on the toolbar.
Click the icon Plus (+)to add a folder. To quickly view its contents, you only need to press a few keys. And to find out more about any image, click ⌘Cmd + I or the button Inspector on the toolbar. Here you can see detailed information about the image and the camera (its serial number, number of shutter releases, and much more). ApolloOne has built-in support for thousands of digital cameras.
You can sort images by creation date, modification date, file size and type, and define your own sorting options in ascending or descending order. There is the ability to filter images by tags, ratings and tags.
Slideshow mode (Preferences → Slideshow) shows photos with 12 different transition effects and loops. You can even customize your playlist to run in the background. To start the slideshow, press F5and the key F6 will stop showing.
- The app is equipped with a powerful RAW processing engine that can process RAW images without any lag. It also has a built-in camera RAW decoder for quick file analysis.
- ApolloOne uses the GPU to speed up the display of images. In this case, there is some loss of quality for the sake of speed. To improve the quality, enable Preferences → Appearance → High quality image scaling… You don’t have to mess around with these options on newer Macs.
- When viewing photos, the app gives you another option to view all images – as a film strip. It appears at the top of the window and can be enabled via Tools → Show Filmstrip… The feed is generated from high-resolution thumbnail images for improved navigation.
- You can also edit the metadata that Spotlight uses for indexing. To do this, edit the field Keywords, and in a few seconds you will be able to search for images by keywords. ApolloOne fully supports macOS extended attributes, which makes tagging a much more powerful tool.
- In contact list mode (View → Contact Sheet) thumbnails are displayed in a grid. Using this, you can perform file operations on multiple items at once.
Free Download ApolloOne (Mac App Store)
♥ BY THEME: How to hide files and folders on Mac (macOS) from strangers: 3 ways.
Super simple and minimalistic program that copes with viewing at 100%. You just associate all the image formats in it and by double-clicking on any photo in the folder, you can either use the arrows or use the trackpad to navigate.
Many people will like the fact that all interface elements are hidden and the image opens almost to the full screen (like QuickTime opens a video). An additional menu with information can be viewed by moving the cursor to the right edge of the window. You will also love rotating or zooming your photos using trackpad gestures.
LilyView even opens GIF animations without any problems. And there is also a built-in utility for controlling Philips HUE smart bulbs.
Download LilyView (Mac App Store)
♥ BY THEME: How to find out where a file was downloaded from on Mac…
qView is a simple, cross-platform, minimalistic image viewer without toolbars or unnecessary menu items. The program simply focuses on your image, and the descriptive title bar shows the file name, file number, resolution, and size. When you launch the application for the first time, you will see a blank window. Follow the path File → Open and select a folder to display its contents.
Use the left or right arrow keys to navigate through the photos. Scrolling the mouse wheel will zoom in or out. Right click on the image to bring up a dialog box with information. You can rotate, flip, or return to its original size for a detailed view.
- The application requires few resources. Even when viewing high-resolution images, memory consumption and CPU utilization remain within reasonable limits. With multi-threaded preloading, you won’t see any lag when navigating through your photos.
- qView supports GIF format, which allows you to increase or decrease the speed at which a specific frame is saved. Go to Tools → GIF Controlsto explore the available options.
- The application allows you to view your photos as a slideshow. Go to Preferences → Miscellaneousto access the slide show options. Here you can configure the timer, preload parameters, cycle and display direction.
- qView offers you several keyboard shortcuts for navigation, access to various options, and general usability. Visit the qView GitHub page to explore these combinations.
Free download qView (official site of the developer)
♥ BY THEME: How to take a screenshot (screenshot) on Mac – 4 ways + new tools.
Fragment is a cross-platform image viewer application. It is based on a Head-Up Display (HUD) interface similar in visual presentation to video games. You won’t see any toolbars, menus, or buttons. Control windows appear on the screen only when you move the mouse pointer over interface elements. Which controls you see depends on the position of your mouse cursor on the screen.
Click on the link to get started No. image (no image) and go to the folder. When you hover your mouse over the top of the window, you will see an elongated panel in the form of a timeline. And for the side panels to appear, move the mouse cursor over the edges of the picture.
The left panel offers various viewing modes. And the right panel allows you to crop or rotate the image. Below you will see the details of your photo.
- When you hover your mouse up, you can drag the indicator to scan at high speed. This way you can quickly view the photos. When you click on a thumbnail image, it will open immediately.
- In the settings, you can set the mouse wheel to zoom in / out or view the next / previous images. Moreover, you can also change the background, window geometry and other parameters.
- Supports viewing 30 image formats, as well as PSD, HDR, PFM, TIFF and others. The built-in animated GIF viewer has speed control and also allows you to save specific frames.
- Click on the drop-down menu button to open the context menu. From there, you can directly share your photo to Facebook, move or copy the image to another location, and view the file’s properties.
- Fragment also offers unique slideshow features. There are over 50 transition options with different settings. While the slideshow is playing, you can still navigate, view, edit, and delete images.
Free download Fragment (developer site)
♥ BY THEME: How to use the Photos app on Mac (macOS): How to apply filters and edit images.
Lyn is a minimalist media organizer and viewer for macOS. It is perfect for photographers, graphic artists and web designers. Lyn supports non-standard, legacy image formats and RAW from a wide range of digital cameras. If they are recognized by the application, it will allow you to quickly download high-resolution photos and rescale them.
The application uses the typical Finder folder structure. Unlike Photos or Adobe Lightroom, no image library is used. Its database slows down the browsing process and also consumes your Mac’s resources.
When you launch the application, you will see three panels. On the left is the entire folder structure, all smart folders you created and connected devices. The viewer shows the contents of the selected folder with various viewing options. In the mode Icon view (icons) pictures are displayed in the form of thumbnails, and in the form List view (list) a small thumbnail with image metadata is displayed. There is a panel on the right Inspector to display technical information about the selected file.
- Lyn supports multithreading to display high-resolution pictures without any lag. Testing has shown a reasonable consumption of system resources by the program.
- The application has a built-in function for managing color profiles. It can detect and apply any color profile specified in the EXIF or Markernote section.
- Lyn supports photo libraries stored on an external hard drive. The application can attach and view libraries without any problems.
- The application supports non-destructive editing, that is, you can freely crop, rotate the image and edit its metadata without destroying the original image. The details of the operations are saved in a special file.
- You can post your photos directly to Flickr, Dropbox and SmugMug.
Download Lyn (developer’s official site)
♥ BY THEME: Continuity: How to get started on an iPhone or iPad and continue on a Mac, and vice versa.
Another high-quality viewer for macOS. Simple, straightforward, compact and quite easy to use. There are also no functions for editing images (except for the possibility of cropping), but there is Russian localization. Разработчики предоставляют право месяц потестить приложение бесплатно, а уже затем предложат купить лицензию (299 рублей).
Скачать Хее (Mac App Store)
♥ BY THEME: Активные углы на macOS: что это, как настроить и пользоваться…
Мало чем отличающийся от Хее просмотрщик изображений. Главное преимущество — бесплатность и широкий инструментарий по настройке программы под свои потребности. Очень быстрая и удобная.
Скачать JustLooking (официальный сайт разработчика)
♥ BY THEME: Как включить анимационную заставку (скринсейвер) из собственных фото на Mac.
Бесплатные и платные редакторы изображений для Mac
Хотя просмотр изображений и кажется простой операцией, разные пользователи выбирают свои варианты ее реализации. И хотя чаще всего обычный предварительный просмотр соответствует всем потребностям, рассмотренные нами приложения охватывают широкий спектр вариантов использования для специалистов различного профиля. Вы можете попробовать эти программы и посмотреть, какая из них соответствует вашим потребностям лучше всего.
Если же вы хотите редактировать изображения после их просмотра, то вам нужен редактор изображений. Рассмотренные приложения имеют возможность обмена или меню Открыть с помощью, чтобы напрямую открывать картинку в выбранном вами редакторе. Некоторые из лучших приложений такого рода для Mac мы уже рассматривали.
О своих любимых программах или способах просмотра изображений на Mac обязательно расскажите в комментариях.