Until 2018, all software updates in macOS were placed in the Mac App Store, however, in newer versions of the operating system, elements of system updates are placed in the application System settings.
♥ BY TOPIC: Program stuck on Mac (macOS): How to force close? 5 ways.
Despite the change in how system updates are delivered, the redesigned Mac App Store allows you to download and save a macOS installer that you can move to an external drive or create a downloadable macOS installer on a USB flash drive.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to copy the full path to a file or folder on macOS.
Option “Software Update” is no longer on the Apple menu.
Main settings panel “Software updates” looks familiar enough. To access it, go to “Settings” from the Apple menu or from the Dock, and then click the “Software Update”.
Option “Update Now” allows you to install all software and updates displayed on the tab “Software Update”. You can configure the automatic installation of updates by checking the box next to “Automatically install Mac software updates”.
To view additional options, click the option “Additionally”.
If there is a software update available, you will have the option to install it now or cancel a scheduled installation at night.
If there is no software update available at the moment, a menu with automatic update options will open, in which you can set the settings as you wish:
- “Automatically check for updates” — check for updates will be carried out automatically.
- “Download updates if available” – The Mac will automatically (in the background) download updates without prompting.
- “Install macOS Updates” – Your Mac will automatically install macOS updates.
- “Install software updates from the App Store” – Your Mac will automatically install app updates from the Mac App Store.
- “Install system files and security updates” – Your Mac will automatically install system files and security updates.
Updates will be delivered through the updates section of the Mac App Store.
In turn, the Mac App Store received new thematic sections and improved navigation. The updates section in the sidebar of the redesigned Mac App Store now only displays software updates.