After purchasing a smart watch from Apple, you need to perform the initial setup procedure, which takes 10-30 minutes, depending on the amount of content downloaded to the device. Step-by-step instructions with explanations for setting up Apple Watch are given below.
♥ BY TOPIC: How do I pay with Apple Watch in stores?
What version of iOS is required on an iPhone to set up an Apple Watch?
To set up and use your Apple Watch Series 7, you need an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 15 or later installed. Apple Watch Series 6, 5, 4, 3, and SE require an iPhone 6s or later with iOS 14 or later.
You can find out the firmware version on the iPhone by going to the application Settings and further along the way Main → About this device → Version.
Note: The order and list of options offered when setting up Apple Watch may differ depending on the model (generation) of the device.
Most of the Apple Watch setup is done on the iPhone.
♥ BY TOPIC: Apple Watch water resistance (all models): can you swim and what you need to know.
How to set up Apple Watch: instructions
1. Make sure your iPhone has Bluetooth turned on and is connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network.
2. On your watch, press (press and hold) the side button until the Apple logo appears. The first start may take about a minute.
3. If you see a low battery message on your Apple Watch or a picture of a charging cable with a red lightning bolt, set it to charge for about 30-40 minutes.
4. After turning on the Apple Watch, a message will appear on the iPhone screen “Use your iPhone to set up this Apple Watch”. Click Continue.
If the message does not appear, open the Watch app on your iPhone (if it was accidentally deleted, download it again from the App Store) and press the button Create a couple.
5. On the next screen, click “Customize for yourself”.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to find out the Apple Watch model by appearance or serial number.
6. The camera (viewfinder) window will open on the iPhone screen. Position your iPhone so that the watch face (an animation will appear on the Apple Watch) is completely centered in the iPhone’s viewfinder.
You should see a message that your Apple Watch has been paired.
If for some reason you can’t set up your Apple Watch using the camera (the animation isn’t showing or the iPhone can’t “read” it), tap “Create a pair manually” (see screenshot above) and follow the instructions on the screen.
7. Click Set up your Apple Watch.
If you’ve used an Apple Watch before, there may be other options: Restore from backup and Set up like a new Apple Watch. Select the option you want to continue setting up your smart watch.
8. The next screen will ask you to select the hand on which you will wear your Apple Watch.
9. Press the button To accept in the bottom right corner to agree with Apple Terms and Conditions.
10. Enter your Apple ID password (which you use in iCloud on iPhone) or skip this step. If you don’t see this prompt, you can sign in later in the Watch app on iPhone using the following path: General → Apple ID, then sign in.
Note: Some Apple Watch features require pairing with an iPhone with an active SIM card and iCloud sign-in.
11. Select whether you want to track your training routes.
12. Choose whether or not to use Siri.
13. Choose whether you want to share insights about your watch usage data with Apple to improve products and services.
14. Choose your preferred reading style (bold font and size).
15. Add or remove a passcode. When choosing an option Add passcode, you will be prompted to enter the desired number combination on the Apple Watch screen.
16. If necessary, turn on the ability for your Apple Watch to measure blood oxygen levels. This feature is available on Apple Watch Series 6 and later.
17. If desired, you can enable the function Apple Watch auto-update, which will automatically install new versions of watchOS on your device.
18. Add your bank cards to Apple Pay to pay securely with your Apple Watch.
19. Set up heart rate notifications. The Apple Watch allows you to notify the user of a suspected arrhythmia.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to use Apple Watch to find iPhone if it is lost in the dark.
20. Customize the function Emergency call – SOSby pressing the button Continue. You can hold down the side button to call emergency services from your Apple Watch if it’s connected to your iPhone. You can also select emergency contacts to be notified when you use the “Emergency call – SOS»by adding them to your Medical Record in the Health app on your iPhone.
♥ BY TOPIC: Point coordinates on the map using iPhone: how to find and share.
21. Turning on the function Screen always on information on the Apple Watch screen will be displayed even if you do not raise your wrist, that is, always. In the settings of the Watch app on iPhone, you can choose what exactly will be displayed on the screen.
22. On screen Installing available programs you will be prompted to automatically install on the Apple Watch those applications that are currently installed on the iPhone (of course, if there is support for Apple Watch for them).
23. After completing the above steps, Apple Watch synchronization will begin. This may take a long time (20-50 minutes). You can see the progress of the sync with a pie chart on your iPhone or Watch screen.
Please note that the iPhone must be close to the clock during synchronization. When it’s done, you’ll hear a tone and feel a slight pulse on your Apple Watch.
You can fine-tune your Apple Watch in the Watch app on iPhone.
Don’t forget to install available watchOS updates:
Useful tips and instructions for using your Apple Watch can be found here.