Barely a decade ago, anyone would have guessed that the popularity of the social feed photo app would reach this level – today, many people pay more attention to their alter egos on Instagram than to their own children. At the same time, the audience of the service has grown so much that some companies are ready to pay more for an advertising post in the Instagram feed than for TV commercials.
♥ BY TOPIC: Invisibility on Instagram, or how to see when the user was online and how to turn it off.
Why Instagram is hacked
The huge popularity of the social network at times increased the value of accounts, which means that there were those who wanted to get these same accounts dishonestly. At the same time, not only owners of promoted profiles that can be used to earn money (spam mailings) are exposed to password theft, but also ordinary people who are hacked by automatic means (account data enters the database of similar ones and is subsequently used or sold by attackers) or acquaintances from personal motives.
♥ BY TOPIC: Private profile on Instagram: what is it for and how to do it.
How Instagram account protection works using two-factor verification
Be that as it may, losing an account, in the promotion of which a lot of effort and time has been invested, is rather unpleasant, and protecting it is not so difficult. It is enough to activate two-factor authentication and link your own phone number to the profile, after which the fraudster will not be able to access the data, even if he has the correct password at his disposal.
♥ BY TOPIC: Who has the most followers on Instagram – the 40 most popular accounts.
How to set up two-factor authentication on Instagram
1. Open your profile page in the Instagram app, go to the menu More (icon with three horizontal lines) and select a section Settings.
2. Go to the menu Safety.
3. Select from the list Two-factor authentication and press To begin.
4. Activate the SMS toggle and add your phone number.
Note: The Instagram administration recommends using an authentication app to protect your account. However, as practice shows, this method complicates the process of restoring access to an account and can greatly confuse the user.
5. After adding a phone number, click the button Further and wait to receive an SMS with a confirmation code from Instagram, enter the received code in the appropriate field and click Next.
6. In order to access Instagram when you are unable to receive SMS from Instagram (for example, in another country or if you lose your SIM card), go to the section in advance Backup codes, copy and save the access codes.