Quite often, Mac users are faced with the following problem – how to return the computer to factory settings, reset all user information, and reinstall the operating system “clean”. Instructions for this process are provided below.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to find and remove large unused files and applications on Mac using standard tools.
The Mac, like most other Apple devices, is designed for personal use. And this means that usually computer owners fine-tune the system for themselves and another user will not be entirely comfortable working with it. If there is a need to completely get rid of the existing data and settings, then you need to follow the simple steps described below.
♥ BY TOPIC: Features of the ⌥Option (Alt) key on Mac (macOS) that you might not know about.
Clean Install macOS: Prerequisites
IMPORTANT: Before a clean install (reinstall, flash, factory reset) of a Mac, be sure to check:
- Is the Mac tied to your Apple ID, and not to any other.
- Do you remember the credentials (login and password) of your Apple ID. You can check, for example, by logging in on this page.
The fact is that if the function was activated on the Mac Find a Mac (located along the path: System settings → iCloud → Find Mac → Options), then after reinstalling the system (resetting to factory settings), the system will ask you to enter the Apple ID to which the device is linked.
ON THIS TOPIC:
How to factory reset Macbook, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro (how to reinstall macOS)
Boot Mac in Recovery Mode
one. Make sure you have an internet connection (for later installation of macOS) and an electrical connection for a MacBook.
Attention! The following steps will lead to a complete removal ALL data on Mac – save the necessary information in advance on external media or make a backup using Time Machine;
2. Restart your computer (or turn it on if it was turned off) using the menu → Reload;
3. During the reboot process, press and hold the key combination that suits you best:
⌘Cmd+R – install the version of macOS that was running on the computer before the problems occurred. Those. your Mac will install exactly the same version as before.
Option (Alt) + ⌘Cmd + R – update to the latest version of macOS that your Mac is compatible with. For example, if the “mac” worked on Mojave, and the breakdown (planned sale) occurred after the release of the final build of macOS Big Sur, the system will download from the Web and install Big Sur.
⇧Shift + ⌥Option (Alt) + ⌘Cmd + R – installing the version of macOS that was originally installed on the computer (or the closest available version to it).
Note: macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or newer required.
4. Then the window “macOS Utilities» (may be called “macOS Utilities” on versions below macOS High Sierra). Here you need to select “Disk Utility” and click “Continue”;
Check and fix boot disk errors (recommended)
one. Select in Disk Utility your drive in the menu on the left (usually Macintosh HD, it is at the very top).
2. Click on the caption First aid.
3. Click Run. The application will check the boot disk for a “health condition” i.e. performance and fix any bugs. This process may take some time.
4. Once the verification is complete, click Ready.
Erase boot drive
one. In the application disk utility, select a verified boot disk, go to the section “Erase” (at the top of the screen);
2. On the menu “Format” select APFS (for computers with macOS Sierra installed and an older version of the OS, select Mac OS Extended) and press “Erase”;
3. When the disk formatting process is complete, click “Complete” to exit Disk Utility.
Reinstalling the macOS operating system (factory reset)
Reinstall macOS using the appropriate item (screenshot below) and follow the instructions.
The latest version of macOS will be downloaded from the Internet and the macOS reinstallation process will begin. During this time, the computer may restart several times.
Note: when you install from scratch, you will have to configure your Mac and programs settings again.