Has your Apple smartphone suddenly turned into a brick? Then the first thing to do is to put the device into a special low-level recovery mode, which is called DFU (Device Firmware Update)…
♥ BY TOPIC: 20 iPhone features that can be disabled for most users
What is DFU Mode?
DFU Mode – a special low-level device mode, which does not use the operating system boot. Only technical information signals are sent to the device via the USB connection.
Previously, DFU mode was mainly used to get jailbreak on the first versions of iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Currently, DFU mode is used only when restoring a password-protected iOS device (not to be confused with Find iPhone Activation Lock), since in recent years hackers have released tools that require minimal user involvement.
The device in DFU mode does not display anything on the screen, display completely black…
After the computer recognizes the device in DFU mode, the message “The computer found the iPhone in recovery mode … “…
Since 2007, with the development of iOS devices, Apple has changed the input (output) process of the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch to DFU mode three times. At the moment, there are three instructions, each of which corresponds to a specific device.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to check if you bought a new iPhone (activated or not)?
How to put iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus into DFU Mode
1… On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15 (or newer macOS): launch the Finder app… On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or older, or on a Windows computer run iTunes (download).
2… Connect your device to your computer using a cable.
3… Press the buttons simultaneously Home + Inclusions until the screen of the device turns off (10-15 seconds).
4… After one second, after the screen of the device goes out, release the button Inclusionsbut keep holding the button Home within 15 seconds.
After the device is in DFU mode, iTunes or another program in use will notify you with a message that the device is in recovery mode. In this case, you can proceed to the recovery procedure (instructions).
♥ BY TOPIC: How to enable Tethering and share Internet (Wi-Fi) from an iPhone or iPad.
How to get iPhone 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus out of DFU Mode
In order to exit the DFU mode, just press and hold down the buttons Inclusions and Home within 10-15 seconds, until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to buy a used iPad (hand-held) and not have any problems after that.
How to put iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus into DFU Mode
The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are the only Apple smartphones to receive a second process modification to enable DFU mode.
1. Connect iPhone 7 to your Mac or Windows computer using a cable;
2. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15 (or later macOS): launch the Finder app… On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or older, or on a Windows computer run iTunes (download).
3. Turn off the iPhone;
4. Press and hold the power button located on the right iPhone for 2 seconds;
5. While holding the power button, press and hold the volume down button on the left;
6. Hold both buttons for 10 seconds.
7. Release the power button while continuing to hold the volume down button for another five seconds;
8. If the display still remains off, then the device has entered DFU mode. In this case, a notification will appear on the computer that the connected iPhone 7 has been detected, after which it can be restored (instructions).
Note: If the Apple logo appears on the screen, it means that you have held the buttons for too long and you need to repeat all over again;
In DFU mode, the screen should not display anything (just a black display).
nine. Note: if any logos appear on the screen (Apple, iTunes with cable, etc.), then you have activated recovery mode, not DFU. If it works, great. If not, try turning DFU on again.
How to get iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus out of DFU Mode
To exit DFU on iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, hold down the Volume Down and Power buttons until the Apple logo appears on the phone screen.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to download a video from VK (VKontakte) to an iPhone or iPad and watch without the Internet.
How to put iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max into DFU Mode
1. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15 (or later macOS): launch the Finder app… On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or older, or on a Windows computer run iTunes (download).
2. Connect the powered iPhone to the computer with iTunes installed using the cable.
3. Press the button Increase sound on the left side panel, then release it.
4. Press the button Reduce sound on the left side panel, then release it.
5. Press and hold the Power button – until the iPhone screen turns black. This usually takes about 10 seconds.
6. Without releasing the power button, press and hold the Reduce sound – within 5 seconds.
7. Release the power button, but continue to hold the button Reduce sound for about 10 seconds.
8. iTunes (or the Finder app on macOS Catalina and newer macOS) will notify you that the program has found your iPhone in Recovery Mode.
Done – your iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max are in DFU (black screen) mode! Now you can start restoring or updating it (detailed instructions).
If, after all the manipulations done, you did not see the notification on the computer, it means that a mistake was made somewhere. Reread the instructions again – now as carefully as possible – and try again.
ON THIS TOPIC: How to block all calls from unknown and hidden numbers in iOS 12 and iOS 13 on iPhone: 2 ways.
How to get out of DFU mode on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max
If you entered DFU not to restore the firmware of your iPhone, but for something else (for example, just try how to enter the mode) and have already finished your business, you can exit it like this:
1. Press and quickly release the button Increase the volume…
2. Press and quickly release the button Decrease volume…
3. Press and hold the power button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.