AirPlay has been used in Apple devices for nearly 20 years. This feature enables users to stream audio and video from one supported device to another. Surprisingly, Mac computers were denied the ability to receive content over this wireless protocol. Fortunately, this changed with the release of macOS Monterey (installation guide).
♥ BY THEME: Undo and Redo: iPhone and iPad gestures you might not know about.
With AirPlay for Mac, market-leading Apple computers can share, play, and present content from other AirPlay-enabled devices. The only requirement for such a scheme to work is to be on the same Wi-Fi network and use a single iCloud account. Using the same tool, you can mirror the image of your iPhone or iPad display on a Mac. Mac computers with macOS Monterey and later installed also allow supported Mac computers to act as an AirPlay speaker or as an add-on speaker for multi-room audio.
To communicate with your Mac using AirPlay, your iPhone and iPad must have iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 (or later) respectively. We talked about how to install iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 in this article.
♥ BY THEME: How to control Mac from iPhone or iPad (lock, restart, shutdown, sound, browse files, play, etc.).
The following macOS Monterey-compatible computers will support AirPlay for Mac:
- MacBook Pro (2018 and newer)
- MacBook Air (2018 and newer)
- iMac (2019 and newer)
- iMac Pro (2017)
- Mac mini (2020 and newer)
- Mac Pro (2019)
The function works with the following mobile devices:
- iPhone 7 and newer
- iPad Pro (2nd generation or later)
- iPad Air (3rd generation or later)
- iPad (6th generation or later)
- iPad mini (5th generation or later)
In addition, older iPhone, iPad, and Mac models can share lower resolution content with supported Mac models if “Allow AirPlay” set to “To all users” or “To everyone on the same network” in settings General access…
♥ BY THEME: How to turn off cellular data for certain apps on iPhone and iPad.
How to AirPlay Music and Videos from iPhone to Mac?
On a supported device, you can AirPlay audio or video to your Mac running macOS Monterey or later. The following examples show how this all works with Apple Music and YouTube, respectively, but the tool works with any AirPlay-enabled app.
In Apple Music and other audio apps:
1. Tap the Apple Music app on your mobile device.
2. Start playing your content, open the player.
3. Tap the AirPlay icon.
4. Select your Mac under “Audio systems and televisions”…
The same can be done through the iOS Control Center.
That’s all! Your music is now playing on your Mac using AirPlay. You can control playback from macOS Control Center.
On YouTube and other video apps:
1. Tap the YouTube app on your mobile device.
2. Start playing your content.
3. Tap the streaming icon. In some applications, you may need to click on AirPlay.
4. Grant the application access (you need to do this once) and select your Mac in the section “Speakers and TVs”…
The same can be done through Control Center in iOS.
You will now start streaming YouTube videos to your Mac.
♥ BY THEME: How to block all calls from unknown and hidden numbers on iPhone: 2 ways.
How to show iPhone or iPad display on Mac (enable mirroring)?
Previously, you could only mirror or extend the screens of your iPhone or iPad using Apple TV. In macOS Monterey, you can now select your Mac as the target by following essentially the same steps.
1. Swipe down from the top-right corner of your mobile device screen to open Control Center.
2. Tap the icon Screen Repeat…
3. Select the Mac on which you want to use AirPlay.