Thanks to the iMac, users no longer have to worry about the location of the system unit. All necessary components are compactly located at the rear of the monitor. But such comfort has its own cost. Sometimes the user is faced with inconvenience when it comes to accessing ports. All of them are located on the back of the candy bar.
♥ BY TOPIC: Review of useful Satechi accessories for MacBook.
But active work with a computer simply means constantly connecting various devices to it: accessories, drives, and more. As a result, the initially successful constructive solution turns into an inconvenience. But such a task may well be solved using third-party adapters or docking stations. Satechi has unveiled a premium product perfect for Apple all-in-ones. This device was named Aluminum Type-C Clamp Hub Pro.
♥ BY TOPIC: Satechi Trio Wireless Charging Pad is a wireless charging station for iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods.
Appearance of the Satechi Type-C Clamp Hub Pro
The device comes in a tight box. On the front side there is a colorful image of the hub itself in a vertical orientation.
The back part shows a part of the monoblock with the device attached to it, so that the user clearly represents the work of the bundle. Below is a list of available ports and their capabilities. The device itself lies inside a plastic mold. In the box, you can also find a picture illustrating the connection of the hub to the candy bar.
Clamps aside, the Aluminum Type-C Clamp Hub Pro is a normal hub. And even if you don’t have an iMac, you can still use it.
True, this does not make much sense. Externally, the hub is an aluminum bar with rounded side edges. Available in two color options, space gray and silver.
The front side panel contains ports for connecting devices and accessories. Here is a list of them:
- 1 × USB-C for data transfer at speeds up to 5 GB / s;
- 3 × USB-A for data transfer;
- 1 × microSD card reader;
- 1 × SD card reader.
On the back, the device has a 15cm cable for connecting to a USB-C port on a computer. Very interesting elements appeared on top of the hub. But it is they who are responsible for its contact with the candy bar. These are two pairs of spacers and a wheel that is supposed to push them apart. The device activity will be indicated by a light indicator between USB-A and USB-C ports.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to charge Apple Watch from iPad Pro or MacBook: Satechi dock overview.
How to use the Satechi Type-C Clamp Hub Pro
1. Roll the wheel until the spacers form a single line.
2. Place the hub under the all-in-one on the side where the ports are located. The spacers should fit into the vents on your iMac. The ports should be on the front and the cable on the back.
3. Turn the wheel in the opposite direction, make sure that the hub is firmly attached.
4. Plug the hub cable into one of the Thunderbolt 3 ports on your iMac. On the hub, the indicator light to the left of the USB-C port should turn on.
5. Now you can connect your devices and memory cards to the USB ports of the hub and the card reader.
Please note that the ports are used for data transfer only, USB-C charging is not supported.
During testing, an external drive was connected to the USB 3.0 port. The data read speed was about 125 MB / s and 48 MB / s write. Copying a file from an SDHC memory card was tested under similar conditions. The read / write speed was 38/9 MB / s, which is in line with the performance of a similar hub.
During operation of this device, a slight heating of its lower surface is noted. The ports themselves are quite tough, and you have to make an effort to plug devices into them – the situation with the native ports of the iMac is clearly better.
♥ BY TOPIC: Satechi Multi-Port Adapter 4K with Ethernet V2: a must-have USB-C hub for every MacBook.
General info for Satechi Type-C Clamp Hub Pro
- Material: aluminum
- Number of connectors: 4
- Active nutrition: absent
- Connection interface: USB-C
- Card reader: yes (SD, microSD)
- Additional ports: USB 3.0 (3 pcs), USB-C (1 pc)
- Compatibility: iMac Pro, iMac 2017 with USB-C ports and later, with older iMacs using a Type-A to Type-C adapter.
- Dimensions: 118 × 33 × 11 mm, weight 54 g.
The Satechi USB C Clamp Hub Pro is a highly effective accessory that can improve your productivity on your Apple All-in-One. The device is made in a corporate design, and its very concept can be considered unique. The hub attaches to the monoblock in a way that feels like a natural part of it. Small flaws are more than offset by the capabilities of the hub. With its help, the necessary ports are much more accessible to the user, while the high data transfer rate does not suffer.