BitTorrent – almost every computer owner often comes across this word. Every day, trillions of gigabytes of information are received and transmitted using torrent clients. For us, ordinary users, it remains only to choose a worthy program to achieve this goal. Today we’ll talk about one of the best torrent clients for Mac – Transmission.
♥ BY TOPIC: Useful free macOS apps not found on the Mac App Store.
Transmission for macOS has gained popularity among users for a long time, and there are a number of objective reasons for this:
- Free of charge. One of the fundamental requirements for any program. Transmission is distributed absolutely free under the GNU Public License v2. You can download the client from the official website of the developer (link at the end of the article).
- Friendly interface. Design in this kind of programs practically does not play any role. It should be at least no worse than a regular Finder. Another thing is the UI (user interface), which should be simple and extremely understandable, even though the client can operate with a large number of settings.
- Functionality. Someone just needs to download movies and not take a steam bath, but someone should give a whole list of options, including file encryption and remote control.
These and other benefits are present in Transmission.
♥ BY TOPIC: Gemini 2 – error-free search and removal of duplicate files on Mac.
The Transmission application interface resembles the Finder Explorer with a minimal number of buttons.
From the main window you can:
- create / stop / pause / resume distribution;
- open a torrent file or perform a quick scan (analogue of the space bar);
- search with a minimal set of filters;
- send or inspect the file;
- limit the width of the channel.
Transmission has a full-fledged high-quality Russian and Ukrainian localization.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to check the speed of SSD, HDD or USB flash drives on Mac (macOS).
Working with files in Transmission
Any Transmission torrent file downloaded from the network automatically intercepts and starts the shell. After the download is complete, the program automatically deletes the torrent file, leaving it clean.
Working with a large number of downloaded information, it will not be superfluous to use groups. There are a number of advantages:
- the main Transmission window will not have 100500 different files in one list, but everything will be nicely packed into folders with different colors.
- each group is attached to a folder on the disk, so the file is no longer uploaded to the “Downloads”, but automatically moved to the folder with movies, music, games, and so on.
♥ BY TOPIC: Gestimer is the most convenient minimalist reminder for Mac of all.
Transmission has never had a problem with features. Here, rather, 90% of users will not have a need to realize the full potential of the program. There are:
- data transfer encryption;
- support for CyaSSL / WolfSSL and PolarSSL;
- wide range of data channel restrictions;
- remote access via the web interface;
- displaying the download and upload speed in the Dock (it’s a pity that the download progress of the active file is not shown);
- work with Magnet links;
- downloading files from http-servers on OS X 10.11 and later;
- a large number of settings for managing distribution, channel width and users, and others.
♥ BY TOPIC: Free video editors: 6 best video editing software for Windows and Mac.
Transmission can be described as an application that spares computer resources (in particular, RAM, which is very important on the Mac), and everything is in order with stability.
And all this is absolutely free and without ads. A low bow to the developers for such a high-quality and thoughtful tool for working with torrent networks. We again have an uncompromising favorite!
Download Transmission for macOS (official developer site)