Perhaps you just recently became the owner of an Apple TV, or you have only used games and viewing photos and videos from your iPhone on your TV. The Music app on Apple TV works just like it does on your other devices. You can play your favorite songs and clips on the big TV screen, turn on karaoke mode, discover something new for yourself, manage your library and search for a specific song, album or artist.
♥ BY TOPIC: Apple TV Control Center: How to Open and Use?
Think of the Music app on Apple TV as a useful addition. Use it for background music while you work, or add volume during a party. And our guide will help you learn how to use this app on Apple TV.
Naturally, to fully use the Music app on Apple TV, you need to purchase a subscription to the service.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to control your Apple TV without a remote control via Control Center on your iPhone or iPad.
How to use the Music app on your Apple TV
This section was once called “For You”. IN “Listen now” you can find recently played music, new songs, as well as curated recommendations based on user preferences. Use the touchpad on the remote control and scroll down to view each section. To play, just click on the remote.
Buy an Apple TV box
♥ BY TOPIC: How to teach Apple TV to automatically switch between light and dark themes.
The section contains selected videos, albums, collections that are at the top of Apple Music. Here you can check out new music released, listen to tracks according to your mood, evaluate what is popular or has been updated, and much more.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to automatically install an app on Apple TV when you download it to your iPhone or iPad.
Check out this section if you enjoy watching music videos. The newest and most popular videos are posted here. You can look into your Favorites, review new releases, search by genre, and listen to live performances.
Possible actions with video
While playing a video, you can press the Menu button on the remote control to do one of the following:
- + (plus sign): Add the video to your library.
- More (three points): Choose from actions such as Go to Artist, Add to Library or Playlist, Play Next, Like / Dislike, and Suggest More / Less Like.
- AirPlay: Select your device from the list.
- In random order: Shuffle the playback order of the videos in this category.
- Repeat: Automatically replay the video.
- Text: Click the Lyrics button, and then click the song cover to view the lyrics.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to uninstall apps on Apple TV: 2 ways.
Radio is a section where you can listen to radio programs, stations, or even create your own. It is possible to view sections of radio hosts, interviews, local, international stations or radio stations by genre.
Possible actions for broadcasts and stations
The actions depend on the type of item that you select in Radio. For example, you can press the Text button for a radio show, but the lyrics will not appear in the same way as in a song. The steps below will guide you through the basic steps in the Radio section.
- More (three points): Choose from actions such as Go to Artist, Play Next, Create Station, Like / Dislike, and Suggest More / Less Like.
- AirPlay: Select your device from the list.
- In random order: Change the playback order of radio programs in this category.
- Repeat: Automatic replay of the program.
- Text: Click the Text button and then click on the cover to display the text.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to control Apple TV with Apple Watch.
To see all the music and playlists you’ve saved, go to the Library section in the Music app on Apple TV. On the left side of this tab, you will see items for better navigation, with which you can navigate from playlists to songs and artists. Below are the genres by which your music has been classified.
Some sections of your library can be sorted, shuffled, or simply played.
You can sort playlists by type, title, added date, or played date. But you can also sort albums and songs by artist, title, or show recently added ones. And finally, you can sort genre songs by title, added time, show recently added, newest first or oldest first.
Click on a song, playlist, album, or other item to view its details. You will see the parameter “More”to remove an item from your library, add it to a playlist, or play it right away.
♥ BY TOPIC: 15 Apple TV Features You May Not Know About
This tab is an audio or video player that displays the currently playing song. For example, if we are talking about a song, then by certain actions you can view its text and find several songs similar to it. But when it comes to an album, you can swipe across it to see a list of available songs, add it to your library, or go to the artist details page.
Actions for songs
If you are already listening to a song that you want to add to your library or see its lyrics, then this is easy to do. During song playback, you will see two buttons under the cover and two above it.
- + (plus sign): Add the song to your library.
- More (three points): Choose from actions such as Go to Album or Artist, Add to Library or Playlist, Create Station, View Full Text, Like / Dislike and Suggest More / Less Like …
- AirPlay: Select a device from the list.
- Text (karaoke mode): press the button Text, and then click on the cover of the song. Time-synchronized lyrics appear to the right of the cover art.
Actions with albums and their songs are the same as above. In addition, when you select an album, you will see the following action buttons on the detail screen and also on the screen when you play a specific song from the album.
- Add to: Add an album to your library.
- Mix: Shuffle the playback order of songs in the album.
- Repeat: Automatically play it once or twice each time you press the button.
- Autoplay: Activate automatic continuous music playback.
- Go to artist: Go to the artist details page to see additional songs, albums, videos, bios, related artists, and more.
- More: Choose from actions such as Go to Artist, Add to Library or Playlist, Play Next or Later, Like / Dislike, and Suggest More / Less Like.
♥ BY TOPIC: IPhone geolocation settings: what do they affect and which can be turned off to save battery power?
The search function lets you find artists, songs, lyrics, albums, and more in the Music app.
You can also scroll down the sections. This will show you all of them, from genres of music such as pop, rock and country, to thematic categories such as attention, motivation and sleep.