Apple computers have many useful features and capabilities. One of these features is the integrated hardware test.
With it, you can independently diagnose a computer malfunction, find an inoperative item and figure out the cause of the breakdown.
A performance test will not replace a full trip to a service center, but in some cases it will be very useful for ordinary users.
How to check your Mac at home
All modern Mac computers have a built-in utility for diagnosing the hardware of your computer. It allows you to check most of the nodes and components, identify malfunctions or a non-working element on the device.
There are two fundamentally different versions of the Mac diagnostic utility: Apple Hardware Test and Apple Diagnostics.
The first version of the program (Apple Hardware Test) runs on Mac computers that were released before June 2013, while newer models use the second (Apple Diagnostics).
Similar tests can identify problems with most of the Mac components. The system alternately polls drives, RAM, wireless modules, a power controller, a battery, and other computer components for errors.
Verification does not take much time, usually the equipment test passes from 2 to 5 minutes.
What you need to do before checking
Before starting the utility for checking the hardware, do the following:
▪️ Disconnect all peripherals from the Mac. You need to disconnect wired printers, drives, drives for disks, any third-party audio or video equipment, external video cards.
It is recommended to leave only the keyboard, mouse trackpad and monitor connected.
▪️ Before running the test on your MacBook, be sure to connect your laptop to a power source.
▪️ Make sure your Mac is connected via Wi-Fi or Ethernet cable to your network. In some cases, you may need to download additional files for testing.
How to run Apple Hardware Test on models before 2013
Apple Hardware Test on older Macs before 2013
1. Turn off your Mac. Just shut down, not reboot.
2. Turn on the computer and immediately hold down the D key (sometimes cmd + D) until the Internet recovery window appears.
3. Enter the password for your Wi-Fi and wait for the test to load.
4. Select Russian in the dialog box and press the gray button to continue.
5. The Hardware Test menu opens.
6. When the Test button becomes active, you can start the test. To do this, press the button or the T key on the keyboard.
7. Wait until the check is completed, write down the received error codes or photograph them on your phone so as not to lose.
You can interrupt testing by pressing the appropriate button or using the keyboard shortcut Command +.
How to run Apple Diagnostics on Mac models from 2013 to 2016
Apple Diagnostics Interface on Macs from 2013 to 2016
1. Turn off your Mac.
2. Turn on the computer with the D keys pressed (sometimes cmd + D) until the system menu appears.
3. Select Russian in the dialog box and click Next.
4. Confirm the start of the hardware test.
5. Wait until the check is completed, write down the received error codes or photograph them on your phone so as not to lose.
After testing, the following actions and hot keys are available:
▸ start re-testing Command + R
▸ more information Command + G
▸ reboot Mac R key
▸ turn off the computer S key
How to run Apple Diagnostics on Mac models from 2016 and newer
Apple Diagnostics Interface on Macs from 2016 to Present
1. Turn off your Mac.
2. Turn on the computer with the D key pressed (sometimes cmd + D) until the system menu appears.
3. Testing will start automatically. Wait until the check is completed, write down the received error codes or photograph them on your phone so as not to lose.
After the test is completed, the same actions will be available as in the previous case.
Why the hardware test does not start
The hardware test may not start and the Mac will continue to boot normally in the following cases:
Firstly, if you did not disconnect any third-party devices. Even connected flash drives or Type-C adapters can interfere with the test launch.
Secondly, if you use a non-original wireless keyboard with a Mac. Only the native Bluetooth keyboard can connect to the computer at the boot stage and send commands before starting the operating system. Only third-party wired keyboards will do.
Thirdly, the boot area of the system with the test equipment may be damaged. At the same time, try to start the Mac with the Option (Alt) + D keys pressed. The computer will start the network diagnostic system.
Fourthly, the installed firmware password may interfere with the launch of the utility.
At the time of testing the computer, you should turn it off:
1. Reboot the Mac with Command + R keys pressed to boot in recovery mode.
2. In the menu bar, select Utilities – Utility for the firmware password (in some versions of macOS, the item is called Safe Launch Utility).
3. Click Turn off the firmware password and specify the previously set password.
4. Reboot the computer.
How to interpret test results
Apple Diagnostics test revealed no problems
After checking, you will see one or more error codes on the screen, for example:
ADP000 Code: No Mac Hardware Issues.
Codes CNW007 or CNW008: Inability to connect to the network or problems with the wireless module.
Code PPT001: Battery Issues on MacBook. This can be either too much battery wear, or problems with charging.
For details on all possible Mac hardware test error codes, visit Apple.
When to do a hardware test
Apple Diagnostics test result with a couple of errors
If you study the proposed options for action in case of errors, you will notice that Cupertinians almost always recommend visiting a service center. Why, then, test equipment at home?
First, it’s recommended that you run a hardware test when you purchase a Mac in the aftermarket. So you can immediately identify broken modules or computer components.
Secondly, the test will come in handy in case of problems after an independent Mac upgrade.
Thirdly, before going to the service center, it will be useful to yourself to know about possible problems with the computer.
Don’t be lazy to run Apple Hardware Test or Apple Diagnostics if your Mac starts acting weird. Testing will take only a few minutes, but you can immediately discard problems with the hardware and look for the cause in the software.