All iPhone users know that the file system of this device cannot be directly accessed, as it works with Android or Windows. As a result, it will not be possible to manage all the files inside the device, except those that are allowed to access. This complicates the task of sharing files with other iOS users. Nevertheless, you can easily and even in several ways transfer files between iPhone and Mac and receive files from iOS (iPadOS) on Mac.
The content of the article
♥ BY TOPIC: How to open the hidden currency converter, physical quantities and calculator on iPhone and iPad.
How to transfer files (documents, videos) from Mac to iPhone (iPad) via cable and vice versa
Until 2019, Apple offered to use the iTunes application as a standard tool for sharing files and managing iOS devices on Mac and Windows. To transfer data, the application on the iPhone or iPad must support direct file sharing. Thus, using the USB-Lightning cable, you can easily transfer files between iPhone (iPad) and Mac. In most cases, this is very convenient when transferring large files, for example, video, directly to the player application (in detail).
However, using this method, you will not be able to access all the directories visible in the Files application. On a Mac, you can only get files from applications on the iPhone (iPad) that support data transfer via a USB cable. With the release of macOS Catalina, Apple abandoned use with iTunes. The functionality of the application responsible for working with the iPhone (iPad) was transferred to the file manager Finder.
Here’s how to transfer files between iPhone (iPad) and Mac via cable.
1. Connect your iPhone (iPad) to your Mac via a USB cable.
2. If you are using older versions of macOS (prior to macOS 10.15 Catalina), then the connected device must be detected in the iTunes application on Mac.
3. If you are using macOS Catalina or later, open a window Finder. Find the connected device in the Sidebar and click on it.
If the device does not appear, go to Settings Finder and check the box next to CDs, DVDs, and iOS devices.
5. You can work with Music, Videos, Films, Audiobooks, Books, Files, etc. right from this window.
6. Click the tab “Files», Where you can find a list of supported applications.
7. If you want to transfer a file from your Mac to the Files application on your iPhone or iPad, you can copy it directly to the file system of any of the available applications.
8. The copied files can be found in the appropriate directory in the “Files” application on the iPhone (iPad).
9. In order to transfer files from iPhone (iPad) to Mac via USB-cable, first copy the files to any folder of the application that supports data transfer via cable. And then just select the necessary files and drag them to a folder on the Mac.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to reduce the size (compress) video without loss of quality on a Windows, Mac and Linux computer.
How to copy (transfer) photos and videos from iPhone (iPad) to Mac via cable
To transfer a large number of photos and videos from iPhone (iPad) stored in the Photos application to Mac, you can use this simple method.
1. Connect your iPhone (iPad) to your Mac using a USB cable.
2. On a Mac, open a standard application Image capturelocated in the folder Programs.
3. Select the connected device in the upper left corner of the program, specify the folder on the Mac into which data will be copied, select photos and videos to import, and click the button Import. In case you need to copy all photos and videos to Mac, click Import all.
If you need to delete photos and videos copied to Mac from iPhone (iPad), check the box next to Delete after import.
♥ BY TOPIC: In which smartphone is the best camera in 2020 – Top 10.
How to copy (transfer) any files (including photos and videos) from iPhone (iPad) to Mac and vice versa using AirDrop (“over the air”)
AirDrop is Apple’s proprietary file sharing engine. AirDrop allows Apple devices to connect and share files using Wi-Fi and Bluetooth at the same time. It does not require the installation of additional applications. In fact, AirDrop is a built-in feature for exchanging data on Apple devices, including iPhone, iPad, Mac.
Using AirDrop, you can easily get files from iOS to your Mac (and vice versa) “over the air” without an Internet connection.
How to Transfer Files Using AirDrop from iPhone or iPad to Mac
1. On a Mac, open the Finder application.
2. Go to the AirDrop section on the side panel.
3. Set the parameter “Allow my discovery to everyone” at the bottom of the AirDrop window.
4. Open the application “A photo” or “Files” on iPhone or iPad.
5. Select the files, photos, videos that you want to transfer and click the icon Share this.
6. Click on the AirDrop icon.
7. Find the Mac to which you want to transfer files in the list of available devices and click on it.
8. Click “To accept” in the prompt on Mac.
These steps will allow you to quickly get all the files you need from iOS to Mac via a wireless connection without any setup difficulties.
How to Transfer Files Using AirDrop from Mac to iPhone or iPad
1. Run “Command centre” on iPhone or iPad.
2. Press and hold your finger on the wireless control unit, turn on Airdrop and select “For all”.
3. On a Mac, right-click on the file you want to send to iPhone (iPad).
4. Select Share this → Airdrop.
5. Select the desired iPhone (iPad) from the list, after which the file transfer will begin.
6. On the iPhone (iPad), click To accept and select the application where you want to save the file on the device (when sending photos or videos from a Mac, they are automatically saved in the Photos application on iPhone or iPad).
AirDrop is the best choice for transferring files between iPhone (iPad) and Mac, as there are no restrictions on the type or size of the file, and everything can be done in just a few clicks.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to change the ringtone (ringtone) on iPhone.
Third-party file transfer applications between iPhone (iPad) and Mac
Retrieving files from your iPhone or iPad on a Mac using the built-in features is a snap. However, sometimes file sharing may be limited due to the lack of some features.
There are many third-party applications that can ease the task of transferring photos and videos from iPhone (iPad) to Mac.
Some popular programs for transferring video and other data from iPhone (iPad) to Mac.
dr.fone – Phone Manager. This awesome tool can help you get iOS files on Mac in just a few clicks. You can use the app to transfer videos, photos or files from iPhone to Mac and vice versa. Dr.fone requires you to connect your iPhone with Mac using a Lightning cable for data transfer.
Waltr is one of the substitutes for iTunes available for a Mac or Windows computer. The application can magically convert all moved multimedia, including photos and videos, and easily transfer them from Mac to iPhone (iPad). Unlike iTunes sharing, Waltr does not transfer videos to specific supported applications, such as, for example, VLC. Instead, you can save them in the Camera Roll of your iPhone (iPad) if necessary.
Xender. This application, which implements file sharing via Wi-Fi, is also popular on the Android platform, due to the ease of sharing and the ability to transfer multimedia between smartphones. But there is a version of Xender for the iPhone, which makes it possible to send and receive files from other iOS, Android, Mac or Windows devices using a proprietary application. To transfer files or videos from iPhone to Mac, you can use the web version of the service, but for this device must be on the same Wi-Fi network. You can then access your iOS files on a Mac using a web browser by simply entering the URL you specified there.
There are many tools on the market for transferring files between iPhone and Mac. Most of them are free, and in some you have to pay for additional features.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to connect a regular USB-stick to iPhone or iPad.
How to transfer files (photos, videos, documents) from iPhone or iPad to Mac (and vice versa) via the Internet
If the iPhone, iPad and Mac to which you want to transfer files are far away, and you can’t connect to them either by cable or through AirDrop, then the Internet is the only option. To transfer files from Mac to iPhone (iPad), or vice versa, you will have to use certain Internet services, including cloud. Here are some of them that provide the best file transfer between iPhone, iPad, and Mac over the Internet.
Transferring files from iPhone (iPad) to Mac and vice versa no longer seems so complicated. You can use these methods to get iOS files on a Mac, there should be no difficulties.