The ability to install a dark theme for the interface appeared in Apple TV back in tvOS 10. Its use is justified when operating a set-top box in low light conditions.
With the release of version 11 of tvOS, the set-top box has the ability to automatically change the interface theme from light to dark and back, depending on the time of day. This functionality is available on any Apple TV with tvOS 11 and later.
♥ ON TOPIC: How to check the charge level of your Apple TV 4G remote.
How to teach Apple TV to automatically switch between light and dark themes based on the time of day
1. First you need to open the application “Settings”…
2. In it you need to go to the subsection Basic → Decoration…
3. In this menu, the user interface design is selected:
- Light – is the default.
- Dark – makes the background of the main screen and menu darker, which makes it more comfortable to perceive movie posters, icons and other information at night.
- Auto – this option must be installed on Apple TV so that the device itself switches the interface theme from light in the daytime to dark in the evening.
The dark tvOS interface will appeal to those watching movies, playing late at night, or in a dark room.
Automatic configuration sets the interface mode depending on the time of day, so this functionality is tied to the time settings. They need to be configured correctly. The time zone switch must be set to position “Is always” v Settings → General → Privacy → Location Services… This will allow the system to correctly determine the local time.