Firstly, this is a mandatory requirement for participation in the trade-in program, return of the device under warranty, and a highly recommended measure when selling a used device. Secondly, what’s the point of leaving someone a chance to dig into your “dirty laundry”? And thirdly, an elementary rule of politeness – if a smartphone or tablet acquires a new owner, the latter has the right to expect to receive a “clean” gadget, by analogy with the version “out of the box”.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to check if you bought a new iPhone (activated or not)?
Reset iPhone or iPad to factory settings (delete settings and personal data directly on the device)
It’s unprincipled that in your hands, iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad – the sequence of actions for all iOS devices is the same.
Attention! In order to avoid loading the iOS device in the “eternal apple” mode, this method CANNOT be performed on a device with a jailbreak (Cydia icon on the home screen). Otherwise, only this instruction will help.
1. Open the application Settings and go to the section The mainin which (at the very bottom) is the menu item Resetwhich we need.
2. Next, select Erase Content and Settings and in the popup window click Eraseif you agree that the data on the device will be permanently deleted, or option Create a copy, then eraseif the device has data not saved in the backup.
3. Enter the password code and press the button “Erase iPhone (iPad, iPod)” in the popup menu that appears.
4. iOS is annoying and does not want to return to the void – another dialog box will appear asking you to confirm your actions.
5. For those cases when the function is activated Find iPhone, an additional authentication step is required with a password for Apple ID.
6. After pressing the button Erase put the device aside – the process of deleting data will take several minutes, when it is finished, the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch will be reset to factory settings with the deletion of all data.
♥ BY TOPIC: iPhone new, demo or refurbished (ref, CPO) – how to check by model number.
How to reset iPhone or iPad to factory settings using a computer
This method is often used in cases where the user has forgotten the password for unlocking.
This procedure is much more complicated than resetting the settings on the device itself. To execute it, you must run Recover iOS device on computer using DFU Mode.
Detailed instructions for Recover iPhone and iPad on computer posted here.
About how to enter the iPhone (all models) in DFU mode, we talked about here.