In one of the next updates to Windows 10, the Microsoft operating system will get another redesigned Start menu. This time it will get an elegant look in the style of Fluent Design. If you want to refresh the look of Windows with new tiles and other tools of this element right now, then in this material we will tell you how to do it.
♥ BY TOPIC: 10 unnecessary standard programs in Windows 10 that can be removed.
An improved Start menu appeared in a special assembly of Windows 10 build 20161, available to registered testers. But there is a workaround to get this update on your computer right now.
Microsoft describes the design of the updated Start menu as “more streamlined,” the tile background has now become uniform, partially transparent instead of the previous plain color.
And to get the 20161 build of Windows 10 right now you need to put your PC in Windows Insider Dev development mode. It carries out early testing of new functions, so you may encounter a whole series of errors.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to automatically organize files in Windows: an overview of the best applications.
How to get a new Start menu in Windows 10
1. Press the menu button “Start“.
2. Select the “Parameters»Or press the gear button on the left.
3. Go to the “Update and Security“.
4. In the left column, click on the element “Windows Insider” or Windows Insider Program.
5. Click “To begin“
6. Click the + icon next to “Account Linking“.
7. Select your account type and click “Proceed“.
8. Click “Channel Dev » and confirm your choice.
9. Press “AgainConfirm“.
10. Click “Restart now“.
Your system will reboot.
11. Returning to “Parameters“, Press “Update centre Windows“.
12. Click “Resume Updates” (or “Check for Updates»)
13. After applying the updates, click “Reload now“.
You should now have a new Start menu. To confirm your actions, open the Start menu and find tiles for Windows programs such as Office. If these programs have solid backgrounds that contrast strongly with the Start menu, then you have it new.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to fix Windows 10 errors and improve performance: the best programs (free).
How to force download a new Start menu
If you have not seen your new Start menu, there is an explanation for this. It is known that Microsoft is still testing a new Start menu, but you can get this item using another solution.
The only problem associated with it is that this method will require certain advanced user skills, as it involves using the command line and a third-party utility. But this is always a little risky. If you received an updated Start menu with an update in Windows Insider mode, then you will not need this trick. Otherwise, do the following:
1. Download the ViveTool utility.
2. Unzip it to the folder of your choice.
3. Open the Start menu, enter cmd.exe and right-click on the search result.
4. Select “Run as administrator”.
5. Click Yes.
6. Change to the directory where the extracted ViveTool utility is located using the cd command, for example:
cd C: Temp Utilities ViveTool
7. Now enter the following text:
ViVeTool.exe addconfig 23615618 2
8. Click Enter.
9. Restart your computer.
10. Now after loading you should see a new Start menu.