With watchOS 7, Apple adds a section to Apple Watch Battery statussimilar to what appeared on the iPhone and iPad with the release of iOS 11.3.
♥ BY TOPIC: Apple Watch Series 6 vs. Apple Watch Series 5: Should You Upgrade?
What is Optimized Charging on Apple Watch and how does it work?
Section Battery status provides information about the battery status of the device and allows you to control the option “Optimized battery charging”which is designed to increase the overall battery life of the Apple Watch.
When turned on “Optimized battery charging” The watch analyzes the wearer’s personal habits and manages the full charging process in order to preserve battery life.
For example, if you regularly charge your watch at night while you sleep, device (based on your habits) will limit charging at 80 percent (then the watch will not be charged), and then about an hour before you wake up, will automatically start the charging process again to accumulate the remaining 20 percent.
Thanks to the function “Optimized battery charging” The watch will be able to maintain optimal battery health by reducing the time it spends on the charger at 100% charge. As you know, this factor significantly reduces their service life over time.
“Optimized battery charging” is designed to be activated only in places where you spend the most time, such as at home or at work. This feature doesn’t turn on when your Apple Watch usage habits are more varied, such as when traveling.
To identify situations for correct operation “Optimized battery charging”, turn on the following location settings in the Settings app on your Apple Watch:
- Privacy → Geolocation → Geolocation;
- Privacy -> Geolocation -> System Services -> System Configuration;
- Privacy → Geolocation → System Services → Important Locations → Important Locations…
Location information for this feature remains on your watch and is not sent to Apple.
♥ BY TOPIC: Blood oxygen levels: what is the norm and how to measure it on Apple Watch?
How to turn optimized battery charging on / off on Apple Watch
Function “Optimized battery charging” enabled by default on Apple Watch running watchOS 7 and later. If you want your Apple Watch to fully charge its battery earlier than usual, turn off Optimized Battery Charging. For this:
1. Press the Digital Crown on Apple Watch to open the Apps view.
2. Select an application Settings…
3. Scroll down and select a section Battery…
4. Scroll down and select Battery condition…
5. Set the switch “Optimized battery charging” to the OFF position.
6. Select an option “Switch off” or “Turn off until tomorrow”…
7. To re-enable Optimized Battery Charging on your Apple Watch at any time, simply repeat the above steps and flip the switch to the ON position.
♥ BY TOPIC: New in iOS 14: Sleep Tracking on Apple Watch: How to enable and use.
How to check the battery status of Apple Watch
In addition, the section “Battery status” provides useful additional information about the health of your Apple Watch battery that you can use to decide if you need to replace it.
The “maximum capacity” value provides the actual battery capacity compared to that of a new Apple Watch. A decrease in the value of the maximum battery capacity accordingly leads to a decrease in the time of using the device between charges. In other words, the “maximum capacity” value is an indicator of how the Apple Watch battery is performing as a whole, and directly correlates with how long the watch will last on a single charge.