Starting with macOS Mojave, the Apple desktop operating system has received new tools for taking screenshots and screencasts (recording video from the screen of Mac and iOS devices). In particular, when you take a screenshot on macOS, a thumbnail similar to the one appearing on iOS appears at the bottom-right edge of the screen.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to take a screenshot (screenshot) on Mac – 4 ways + new tools.
You can easily interact with the previews of screenshots that appear: instantly open the image for editing or move it to the window of any compatible application for further work.
It seems to sound good, but in practice, not everything is so convenient.
- Unfortunately, not all programs support import from thumbnails. For example, standard Notes and Mail will understand your intentions, but with Google Chrome and Evernote they will not.
- Appearing thumbnails sometimes create an annoying delay before saving the image (after the disappearance of the thumbnail, it takes another couple of seconds before it appears on the desktop).
- The thumbnail can obscure the necessary icons of files and applications that the user may need immediately after taking a screenshot.
♥ BY TOPIC: 10 cool features of iPhone + Mac pairing when used together.
How to disable annoying screenshot thumbnail in macOS
1. Press the keyboard shortcut ⌘Cmd + ⇧Shift + 5, thereby launching the utility for creating screenshots and screencasts. Click the button “Options”…
2. In the menu that appears, uncheck the box next to Display floating thumbnail…
After this point, the generated screenshots will continue to appear on the desktop (or another folder), as it was in earlier versions of macOS.