You can own a Mac that the whole family runs on or let friends use their computer during their visit. And to keep your account, all your files and settings safe, on macOS you can easily add new users, and then just switch between them.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to automatically highlight specific emails in Mail on Mac.
In addition, you can quickly delete an unnecessary account if the computer is no longer being shared.
To manage user accounts on your Mac, open the “System settings»Or follow the path Apple () → System settings from the menu bar.
Choose a section “Users and groups”, Then click the lock button below in the form of a lock and enter the Mac administrator password.
Press the blue button “Remove protection“. Then, do one or more of the following steps to add, remove, or configure user switching.
♥ BY TOPIC: Smart Folder Finder on Mac: How to Create, Customize, and Use.
What types of user accounts are there on macOS
When you begin the process of adding a new user to your Mac, you will need to select the type of account that you want to configure. Here’s a brief description of user account types on Mac.
Administrator. Most likely, this is the type that your account already has as the owner of the Mac. Administrators have full rights to install applications, change system settings, and manage user accounts. If necessary, you can create multiple Administrator accounts on the same Mac.
The guest. This account is created by default, but can be disabled. It allows friends to temporarily log on to the computer. Creating a password to enter the guest account is not required, in addition, using remote login with the guest account is not possible. It is also worth paying attention to the fact that when the FileVault disk encryption system is enabled, only the Safari browser will be granted access to the guest account.
Guest account data is stored on the computer only during the use session, i.e. when a guest logs out, all information from the guest user’s folder will be deleted.
Standard. Normal user account. These users can install applications and change their own settings, but not manage other users.
Sharing only. These accounts are useful for file sharing or screen sharing on your network. You can give all users access to all the contents of your Mac, or allow certain users to access some macOS folders. Users of this account can only use shared files remotely, but cannot log into your Mac or change any settings. Sharing settings are configured in the panel File Sharing or “Remote control” in section “General access” in the application System settings.
Group. Such accounts allow multiple users to access the same items and have the same rights to open and modify files. To configure group access rights to your shared folders, you need to set access rights in the panel “File Sharing” in the “Sharing” section in the application System Settings
Important! Never create or transfer Administrator account information on your Mac to strangers (and simply not trustworthy) to people and guests. After all, as mentioned above, the Administrator has unlimited access to the computer, so that if he wants, he will be able to access your valuable data (for example, a bank account or pages on social networks), install malware, or simply delete the file you need from harm . For guests or friends, it is better to create and operate a Guest account (see above) or a regular (standard) account.
♥ BY TOPIC: Emoji on Mac: 4 easy ways to use emoticons on macOS.
How to add a user on Mac
Adding a new user to your Mac will require just a few clicks, and this is easy to do with the following steps. This will be done correctly if other people need to use your computer.
1. In the bottom left of the window “Users and groups“Click on the icon”+“To add a new user.
2. Select the type of new account (from the ones described above) from the drop-down list, the default is Standard.
3. Enter all the information for the new user and press the blue “Create user“When done.
If you want to assign a specific photo to a new user, click on the current photo in the user’s card next to his name. Select a picture from the available ones or take a new picture using a Mac camera and click “Save“.
If you wish, you can allow the regular user (Standard account) to administer your Mac (grant rights Administrator) Thus Standard account becomes Administrator.
If you are finished adding new users, you can click the lock button to prevent further changes, and then close the “Users and groups“.
♥ BY TOPIC: Active angles on macOS: what it is, how to set up and use it.
How to add a guest user on Mac
If you want to allow a guest user to work on your Mac, it’s easy too. Guest user accounts can be used when someone is temporarily using your Mac. For example, it could be a friend visiting you. This type of user account does not require a password to log in.
1. In the left part of the window “Users and groups“Click on the account”the guest“.
2. Check the top box “Allow guests to log on to this computer“.
3. If desired, you can select the parental control “No adult sites” or “Allow guests to connect to shared folders“. These options are provided to choose based on your needs.
Once you allow guest users on your Mac, just select the “the guest“On the Mac login screen so your guest can use this computer.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to use tags in Finder on Mac.
How to add a group user account on Mac
Group user accounts are convenient for team projects at work or group projects for a school. You are unlikely to use this type of account often, but we will describe the steps to add a group account.
1. At the bottom left, click the “+“To add a new user.
2. Set the type of the new account from the drop-down list by selecting “Group“.
3. Enter the group name in the “Full name” and press “To create a group“When done.
4. In the list of users, click on the group you created and select users from the list for it by checking the corresponding boxes.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to schedule a sleep mode and automatically turn on your Mac.
How to switch users on Mac
The fastest and easiest way to switch users on your Mac is via the button on the menu bar. This method is ideal when you share your Mac with other people in your home, which will require a regular change of accounts.
A list of all users will also appear on the macOS login screen.
♥ BY TOPIC: 5 beautiful free animated screensavers (screensavers) for Mac.
Adding a quick user switch button
If you don’t see the Mac user account button in the menu bar, follow these steps to add it. This will allow you to quickly switch.
1. Return to the section System settings → Users and groups. Unlock the settings and enter your password if necessary.
2. Click on your administrator account in the left column.
3. Click on the menu “Login Options“Under the list of users.
4. Check the “Show quick user switching menu as”, And then select the full username, account name or icon from the drop-down list. This is what will be shown in the menu bar.
You should see how your name, account name or icon appears in the menu bar. Now you can lock and close the “Users and groups“.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to delete files on a Mac from a USB stick or external drive on a Mac.
How to remove user on Mac
If the time comes when you want to delete the user account on your Mac, then this is as easy as adding it. Your child may have his own computer and he no longer needs access to yours, or you have a personal account for a friend, but you prefer that he use a guest account.
1. In the left part of the window “Users and groups“Click on the account you want to delete and click on the”–“(Minus).
2. Select options for working with the home folder of the user to be deleted: save it in the disk image, do not change the home folder and leave it in the same place or delete it.
3. Click “Delete user“.
The user account will no longer appear on the “Users and groups“And this person will not be able to enter your Mac.
Each section of the instructions will help you, depending on whether you want to delete or add a user account. As you can see, switching between accounts on macOS requires just one click.
How do you manage user accounts on your Mac? Do you prefer to start them personally or do you give others regular guest access? Tell us about it in the comments!