Starting with iOS 11, iPhone and iPad began to use the new effective HEIC / HEIF format for storing photos. Perhaps you already realized this when you were trying to export pictures from your devices. It may suddenly turn out that the computer or other devices cannot open these photos. But nothing prevents you from converting photos from the HEIC format to the traditional and popular JPG. Here are a couple of easy ways to do this.
♥ BY TOPIC: What is the difference between JPEG, GIF, PNG, RAW, BMP, TIFF?
iOS and iPadOS are smart enough operating systems that allow you to do HEIC / HEIF and JPG / JPEG conversions literally on the fly. For example, when you attach an image to a letter in the Mail application or send it through another application, it is transferred as a JPG file.
In general, the HEIC format is superior to the JPEG format. It takes up less space and supports 16-bit color capture instead of 8-bit. But these benefits can be felt while you stay in the ecosystem of Apple.
To use HEIC images on a Windows computer, use this instruction.
If you want to return to the JPEG format as the default format for new photos, you can change this camera operation parameter in the application “Settings”.
To do this, follow the path “Settings” → Camera → Formats and check the box next to the value Most compatible.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to create a double in the photo (clone objects) on the iPhone.
How to convert HEIC photos to JPG using the Files app directly on iPhone
It turns out that conversion can be done using the application pre-installed in the system “Files” – no third-party program is needed.
Simple process of copying photos from the application “Photo” and paste them into a folder in the application “Files” Converts photos from HEIC format to JPG format by itself.
1. Open the application “Photo” and go to the album containing the photos in HEIC format.
2. Click on the button “Select” on the top toolbar and select all the photos you want to convert to jpg format.
3. Click on the button “Share” in the lower left corner and select “Copy Photos”.
Photos will be placed on the clipboard.
4. Open the Files app on your iPhone or iPad and select a location “On my iPhone / iPad” or cloud storage. If you choose the second option, then the stored data will be taken into account in the tariff plan of the selected cloud storage, in addition, photos will not always be available offline.
5. Press and hold your finger on an empty area and in the pop-up window select the option “New folder”.
6. Give the new folder a name and click Done.
7. Open the application “Files” and go to the folder that we created in the previous steps.
8. Press and hold your finger in a blank area of the screen, and then select the option Paste in the popup menu.
Immediately you will be able to see photos here, but already in JPG format, not HEIC.
Many other apps from the App Store can also quickly convert HEIC images to JPEG files. Some of these programs may contain advertising or may be paid. Finding them in the app store will not be difficult.