One of the first lessons in working with flash drives involved removing them from a computer port. Everyone knows that you cannot turn off a USB flash drive unexpectedly, while writing information to it. And at the end of the work, it is necessary to carry out Safe Removal devices. But in Windows 10, the need to look for a small button in the tray and click on it to turn off the flash drive disappeared. The October 2018 1809 update made life unexpectedly easier for millions of users. Microsoft said that the protection of external drives was implemented in Windows 7, but the implementation of such a solution was officially announced only in Windows 10.
ON THIS TOPIC: 32- or 64-bit Windows: What’s the Difference and Which System Should I Install?
In fact, such a function has been around in Windows for a long time.
The default functionality depends on the Windows build. For external drives connected via USB or Thunderbolt, Windows implements two main policies: “Quick removal” and “Optimal performance“. In Windows 10, version 1809, the first is installed by default. Previously, the operating system focused on better device performance.
Windows allows you to set different policy settings for each external device. The system will remember them after turning off the device. When it is turned on again on the same port, the specified parameters will be applied to the drive.
Any user can change the policy settings for their storage devices as needed. There are two options available with the following specific features:
Quick removal. This policy manages communication with external drives so that they can be removed from the system at any time. Thus, you can simply remove the USB flash drive from the USB port without a procedure. Safe Removal… But to implement such a policy, Windows abandoned disk write caching. Because of this, the communication speed has deteriorated.
Optimal performance. By applying this policy, the work with the drive is carried out in such a way as to maximize the performance of data exchange. After applying the policy, Windows starts caching write operations when working with a USB flash drive. But to remove the device from the computer, you will have to use the procedure Safe Removal… It will protect the data on the device and ensure the completion of all planned operations.
In other words, if you have Windows 10 build 1809 or higher installed on your computer, then “safe removal” is not required (although it remains on the system as an option).
The only thing, always remember that in any case, you cannot remove flash drives and disks while writing data to them. Any other time – no problem.
ON THIS TOPIC: How to speed up Windows 10, 8 or 7 by disabling unnecessary operating system services.
How to change the policy for a connected external storage device (USB stick, etc.) in Windows 10
1. Connect the drive to your computer.
2. Right-click the menu “Start“And select”Conductor“.
3. Determine the drive letter or label associated with the external drive. For example, it could be “My Data (E🙂“.
4. Now right-click again on the “Start“And select the menu”Disk management“.
5. In the lower part of the window, in the list of disks, find the drive, click on its heading in the left column with the right mouse button and select the “Properties“.
6. In the new window, go to the “Politicians»And select the required value for this device. When you select the item, “Optimal performance“, You can additionally activate the item”Allow write caching for this device“, Which will increase the speed of data exchange.
ON THIS TOPIC: How to automatically switch the language (layout) on the keyboard in macOS or Windows.
How to set up your computer to safely remove a USB stick or hard drive on older versions of Windows
In older versions of Windows, you can also enable the Safely Disconnect External Drives feature. To do this, change the default policy setting.
1. From the menu Start → Control Panel go to “Device Manager“.
2. In the section “Disk devices“Select your external storage and right-click on it and select”Properties“.
3. In the “Politics»Set the required parameter. To be able to safely disconnect the device without additional manipulation, select “Quick removal“. Otherwise, when activating the second menu item, you will have to use the procedure “Safely remove a device“.