The Internet has such a variety of sites that among them are openly harmful. First of all, I want to protect them from children, but some of your guests should not show such resources. Perhaps you have finally gathered your courage and decided to refuse to visit sites that prevent you or your loved ones from working and force you to spend time on useless entertainment.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to create a schedule of sleep modes and automatically turn on the Mac.
You can protect your Mac from visiting such inappropriate services in several ways. Blocking dubious sites is not so difficult. Here are the three easiest ways to do this.
How to block sites on macOS using Screen Time
If children grow near you, then the function setting “Screen time” on a general Mac, this is the easiest way to keep your kids safe from sites and apps that they shouldn’t see or run.
To block websites with “Screen time”, follow these steps.
1. Open System settings and go to the section Screen time.
2. Press the button Enable to activate Screen timeif the function has been disabled. Then go to the menu Content and Privacy.
3. Select a tab ContentCheck the box next to No adult sites and click on the button Tune.
4. To block the site, click the “+” button in the section Limit.
5. In the URL field that appears, enter the site access to which should be blocked. Click Ok.
6. After that, when trying to go to a blocked site, a notification window will appear on the Mac screen Error! You cannot view pages on this website.. In order to add this site to the list of allowed, click on the button Add website and enter the code for Screen time.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to put a password on a folder in macOS (Mac) without installing third-party applications.
How to block sites on Mac using Terminal
If it’s convenient for you to use the “Terminal” program on your Mac to enter various commands, you can also create a list of blocked websites there. You will need to do the following:
1. Open “Terminal” with Applications → Utilities (Launchpad → Other) in the dock or, with Finder open, click Transition → Utilities in the menu bar and select “Terminal“.
2. Copy and paste or enter the command below and then click Enter.
sudo pico /etc/hosts
3. Enter your Mac user password and click Enter.
4. In the text editor that opens, go down using the arrow key and enter in a new line: 127.0.0.1, then a space, and then the website you want to block. Click Enter. List each unwanted site on a separate line. Here’s what it might look like:
5. Click Control + o (capital letter O) and press Enter to save the results.
6. Click Control + xto close the text editor.
7. Close the terminal window.
Now, when you open the browser and go to one of the sites that you just worked with in the Terminal, you will be blocked from access to it.
♥ BY TOPIC: 50 hotkeys (keyboard shortcuts) Finder on macOS that everyone should know.
How to block sites on a Mac using the 1Focus application
You can turn to the Mac App Store for a third-party application that can help block unwanted websites. The application called 1Focus has good recommendations.
This is an ideal application for situations where you want to make sure that your mind and your eyes are focused on the main work, and not on social networks or browser games. The application is very easy to use, here is a brief description of how to block sites using it:
1. Open 1Focus and go to the tab Web sites.
2. In the section “Blocked sites“At the top press the button”+“To add one item. And in the lower right corner you can add exceptions, if necessary.
Now let’s set up a schedule for when and for how long you want to block sites.
1. Click on the “schedule“Above.
2. Press the “+“To add a block of time in hours and minutes. You can also immediately start the time block by specifying hours and minutes in the “Fast start“And then by pressing the”Start blocking“.
When you or someone else tries to access a blocked website, an elegant notification will appear instead of this page.
1Focus also gives you the option to block categories of sites like dating or gambling, and set a recurring schedule daily or on certain days, but this feature will require in-app purchases.
1Focus currently works with Safari, Chrome, and Opera. The program is available in the App Store for free with the ability to purchase a subscription in the application itself to activate additional functions.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to change the default folder icons to emoji emoticons on macOS.
Do you block sites on Mac?
Each of these ways to block sites on a Mac is simple and effective. You can make sure that the sites that you want to keep inaccessible to your children, or those that constitute a temptation while working, will be truly blocked.
Do you use these methods to block sites on your Mac, or do you prefer other options? Tell us and other readers about this in the comments!