What is the iPhone battery life? In this article, we will talk about the type of battery installed in the iPhone, how to assess its condition and how to charge it properly.
♥ BY TOPIC: Which iPhone holds the battery better? Comparison of the battery life of all current iPhone in 2020.
- What type of batteries are installed on the iPhone?
- How does the iPhone battery charge?
- What is a “recharge cycle” and why is it important?
- Why do I need to know the number of full charge cycles iPhone?
- Is it possible to find out the number of recharge cycles completed directly on the iPhone?
- How do I find out how many iPhone recharge cycles I’ve completed on a Mac or Windows computer?
- How to charge iPhone battery correctly?
What type of batteries are installed on the iPhone?
Each iPhone is equipped with a lithium-ion battery. They have enough advantages compared to “traditional” batteries: they charge faster, work longer, weigh less.
♥ BY TOPIC: How do I find out which application consumes the most battery on my iPhone or iPad?
How does the iPhone battery charge?
Battery charging consists of two phases. During the first – from 0 to 80% – the battery is replenished with energy quickly (the exact charging time depends on whether the device is used, settings and other factors). The second – from 80 to 100% – is called compensation, it “weakens” the electric current and thereby allows you to extend the battery life of the iPhone.
♥ BY TOPIC: Optimized charging, or how iOS 13 will extend the life of the iPhone battery, which is constantly left on charge for the whole night.
What is a “recharge cycle” and why is it important?
One cycle is when you discharge your iPhone with 100% “zero”. This can be done both at once or in several. Example: a day battery is 75% dead. You charged it to 100% and continued to use it. One recharge cycle will end when you use up another 25% of the charge (“yesterday’s” 75% + “today’s” 25%).
Why are we doing this? The iPhone battery naturally has a resource. After 500 full recharging cycles, the battery capacity of the “apple” smartphone will decrease by 15-20%. In practice, 500 charge cycles – this is 1.5-2 years of smartphone operation. After about 3-4 years, the battery capacity will accordingly decrease by 50% of the value that the iPhone had out of the box. And then it makes sense to think about replacing the battery – because you will probably notice that your iPhone, for example, no longer “survives” until the evening and brings you to the right time.
♥ BY TOPIC: iPhone tracks all your movements (places visited): where to watch it and how to turn it off.
Why do I need to know the number of full charge cycles iPhone?
This information can be useful to the buyer when buying an iPhone with his hands, as well as to determine the current state of the battery, in the case, for example, of intense discharge.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to download files, documents, videos and music to iPhone and iPad from the Internet.
Is it possible to find out the number of recharge cycles completed directly on the iPhone?
Unfortunately no. Apple does not provide data on iPhone charging cycles, although such data is easy to see on the company’s laptops. However, in the iOS settings there is still a section Settings → Battery → Battery Status, which contains information on the current status of the iPhone battery (in detail).
♥ BY TOPIC: How to explain Siri who is your friend, brother, wife, children, etc. and what is it for.
How do I find out how many iPhone recharge cycles I’ve completed on a Mac or Windows computer?
Use program iBackupBot for computers with Windows and macOS.
Download iBackupBot for free (30 days trial)
After installation, connect your iPhone, select it in the section Devicesclick on the inscription More information and look at the number opposite the inscription Cycle count – this is the number of recharge cycles already completed.
Below you will also find other useful information about the battery of your iPhone – passport capacity (Designcapapacity), actual capacity after fully charged (Fullchargecapapacity), current battery level (BatteryCurrentCapacity)
♥ BY TOPIC: How to check the status of the battery status in the MacBook and the number of recharge cycles.
How to charge iPhone battery correctly?
- Apple advises not to bring the charge to 100%! If possible, keep it in the range of 20 to 80 percent. So you won’t “overextend” the battery cells, and recharge cycles will “leak” more slowly. According to an independent researcher Eric Limer, the iPhone battery, which is constantly charged up to 100%, can be safely thrown out after 500 cycles. But the battery, which has never been charged more than 70 percent, will have to be changed only after 1,200 cycles!
- There is one exception to the previous rule. Once a month, it’s useful to discharge the iPhone “to zero” and then charge it to 100%.
- Do not leave the iPhone for “night” recharging – the electrons in the lithium battery should move, which does not happen after many hours of connecting to the outlet.
- Avoid extremely high and extremely low temperatures. Batteries “love” a temperature of 15 degrees Celsius. If you have plus 25 outside the window, get ready to lose battery capacity by 20% every year, if +40, already by 35%!
- Try not to use iPhone cases with wireless charging. By itself, wireless charging creates excess heat, which, as you already know, harms the battery.