If you need to send several files by mail, then compressing them into a ZIP archive will help reduce their size and number. It’s easier to send one file than several. Sometimes even multiple folders are required to be archived. Fortunately, the Mac has a built-in solution for this. The same tool will also be used if necessary to unpack received archives with files or folders.
If you still do not know how to work with archives on Mac, then we can help you. Here’s how to quickly compress and unzip files and folders on your Apple PC.
♥ BY TOPIC: Analog F5 on Mac, or how to refresh pages on macOS, like on Windows.
How to create a ZIP archive from files and folders on Mac
To get started, go to the location on the macOS disk that contains files or folders that require compression. Then you will need to adhere to the following actions:
1. Select the desired files or folders. There are several ways to do this. You can use a keyboard shortcut Command (⌘) + Ato quickly select all the items in the folder. You can select a range of elements by holding the key Shift (⇧) and clicking on the first and last file or folder in the list. Or you can use the pressed key Command (⌘) Click on the necessary elements, adding them one by one to the already selected ones.
2. After selecting files, right-click.
3. In the context menu that opens, select “Compress objects (N) “where N is the number of files or folders you selected. Please note that the term “compress” is used, and not placed in a ZIP archive. In fact, we are talking about the same thing.
After the archiving process is completed, you will see a new file in the same folder. By default it has a name Archive.zipbut nothing prevents renaming it.
To do this, right-click on it and select “Rename” (4 ways to rename files on Mac).
♥ BY TOPIC: Mac slows down: the reasons for a slow computer on macOS.
Unzip files and folders on Mac
To unzip a file, you don’t need to do anything special – just double-click on the archive. That built-in macOS utility, which deals with file compression, will help and extract information from archives. No third-party application or special program is required. The system automatically processes these compressed files. After double-clicking on the file, the unzipping process will begin. A folder with the same name will appear next to the file.
You can open it and find previously compressed files there.
In this article we talked about how to unzip archives in RAR format.
♥ BY TOPIC: The most difficult passwords: how to think up correctly and not forget them – 2 tips from a hacker.
Standard Archiver on Mac
Since you do not need to run it specifically to use the archiving utility, it is hidden in the system folder. However, there are a couple of backup settings that you might need to change.
The fastest way to get direct access to the utility is to select the section in the top menu Finder Go → Go to folder … . In the window for entering the path, enter /System/Library/Core services/Applications and click Go to.
In the list of applications you can find the element “Archiving Utility ».
Double clicking on it will launch the program. Then in the top menu bar, click Archiving Utility → Settings … .
In the window that appears, you can make some changes both to unzip the compressed files and to create them yourself. You can change the location of both the created archives and the extracted information using the “Save unzipped. files“And”Save archive“. You can also set the program actions after archiving and unzipping in the drop-down lists “After unzipping“And”After archiving“.
After making the changes, the settings window just needs to be closed.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to sync Safari bookmarks between Mac, iPhone and iPad.
3rd party applications
If you think that you often create archives and unpack them and this requires additional functions, then we recommend several options for third-party solutions.
- Keka. Easy to use free popular archiver.
- Winzip. This is a popular file compression application with direct file transfer and password protection.
- A–Zippr: Rar & Zip Tool (free, with internal purchases). This utility offers AES encryption and file previews.
♥ BY TOPIC: Mac for Dummies: 30 helpful macOS tips for beginners.
Remember that Mac has a built-in archiving utility to compress files and extract information from them. You don’t have to search and open it specifically, the program runs in the background. This allows you to conveniently and quickly compress and decompress files on macOS.