Until 2018, all software updates in macOS were posted in the Mac App Store, however, in newer versions of the operating system, elements of system updates are placed in the application System settings…
♥ BY TOPIC: The program has frozen on Mac (macOS): How to force close? 5 ways.
Despite the change in the delivery method for system updates, the redesigned Mac App Store allows you to download and save the macOS installer, which you can move to an external drive or create a downloadable macOS installer on a USB stick.
♥ BY TOPIC: How to copy the full path to a file or folder on macOS.
Option “Software Update” is no longer on the Apple menu.
Main settings panel “Software updates” looks familiar enough. In order to access it, go to “Settings” from the Apple menu or Dock, then click the “Software Update”…
Option “Update Now” allows you to install all software and updates displayed on the tab “Software Update”… You can configure automatic installation of updates by checking the box next to “Automatically install Mac software updates”…
To view additional features, click the option “Additionally”…
In case there is a software update available, it will be possible to install it now or cancel a scheduled installation at night.
If there is no software update available at the moment, a menu with automatic update options will open, in which you can set the settings as you wish:
- “Automatically check for updates” – checking for updates will be carried out automatically.
- Download updates if available – The Mac will automatically (in the background) download updates without being prompted.
- “Install macOS updates” – Mac will automatically install macOS updates.
- “Install software updates from the App Store” – Mac will automatically install app updates from the Mac App Store.
- “Install system files and security updates” – Mac will automatically install system files and security updates.
Updates will be delivered through the Updates section of the Mac App Store.
In turn, the Mac App Store has received new thematic sections and improved navigation. The updates section in the sidebar of the redesigned Mac App Store now only displays software updates.