If you’ve lost your Siri Remote, don’t worry, you can control your Apple TV set-top box if you want to. “Command centre” on an iPhone or iPad with iOS 11 or later.
♥ BY TOPIC: New in iOS 14: How to hide unwanted application pages from the home screen on iPhone and iPad.
Of course, you can buy another remote control, but why spend extra, by the way, not so little money? Alternatively, you can reprogram your regular infrared remote control to control your Apple TV, but this is inconvenient and unreliable. Use an iOS device instead. This method works if your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is running iOS 11 or higher and your Apple TV is the fourth generation or Apple TV 4K. Both devices must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
♥ BY TOPIC: 15 Apple TV Features You May Not Know About
How to fully control your Apple TV using Control Center on your iPhone or iPad instead of using the Siri Remote
1. Open “Settings” on an iPhone or iPad with iOS 11 or later.
2. Click “Command centre”.
3. Click the “+” sign next to Apple TV Remote in section “More controls”, and then press and hold the item and drag it to the desired position.
4. Close the application “Settings” and open the window “Control Center”.
5. Click on the Apple TV Remote widget you just added.
6. Select your Apple TV from the list.
7. If required, enter the four-digit code that appears on your Apple TV screen.
Now you can control the set-top box through the interface “Control Center”, use Siri or play games.
Note: On iPhone or iPad running iOS 12 and up, the operating system will automatically find your Apple TV device and automatically add the Apple TV Remote widget to “Command centre”.
A brief description of the available controls:
- Play / pause – you will be able to pause / resume playback of content;
- Menu – the menu completely duplicates the “Menu” section on the Siri Remote;
- Home button – duplicates the “Home” button on the Siri Remote;
- Siri – duplicates the Siri button on the Siri Remote.
You can also enter text using the widget: first place the cursor on your Apple TV in a text entry field, such as the search field, then tap the notification that appears on the screen of a nearby iOS device to enter text using the keyboard.
♥ BY TOPIC: Screensavers (slideshows) in Apple TV: how to install, change and customize.
Other methods to control your Apple TV
If you haven’t upgraded to iOS 11 yet, use the following apps:
Apple TV Remote – control the tvOS interface. For owners of the fourth generation Apple TV or Apple TV 4K, Siri support, the ability to control games by tilting the mobile device, and media control are available. To use the Apple TV Remote, you need iOS 9 or higher (details).
iTunes Remote – Unlike the previous app, iTunes Remote allows you to remotely manage your iTunes library on a Mac or Windows PC. The application requires iOS 9.3.2 or later (details).