Recently, the developers of iOS (iPadOS) have significantly expanded the rights of users, saving the latter from the need to jailbreak the system. For example, with the release of iOS 14, it became possible to set the default browser.
♥ BY TOPIC: In iOS 14, at the top of the screen, a green or orange indicator lights up: what are they for?
Starting with iOS 14, iPhones and iPads can use third-party web browsers and email clients by default. This news will delight those users who, for some reason, do not like the Safari browser and Apple’s Mail. In the future, we can expect the application of a similar step to other categories of programs. When you click on a link in any application, it opens in your default browser. Prior to iOS 14, you could have an alternative browser, for example, Google Chrome, present in the system, but clicking on the link always opened the Safari browser.
♥ BY TOPIC: Bookmarks on iPhone and iPad: how to add, create folders, favorites, customize.
How to set Google Chrome as the default browser on iPhone
1. Download the latest version of Google Chrome from the App Store.
2. Open the application “Settings»And go to the Google Chrome settings page.
3. Click “Default browser“.
4. Tap “Chrome“.
As a result of these actions, any application that launches the standard URL open operation will now tell the system to launch Google Chrome, not Safari.
If you ever change your mind, you can go back to Preferences and change your default browser back to Safari. If you want to use a third-party browser other than Chrome, you will have to wait while the developer updates the app to add this capability.
A similar approach now works with the change in the mail application.
♥ BY TOPIC: Tap on iPhone Cover – Take a screenshot: How to bind actions to tap on the back of an iPhone.
How to open web links in Google Chrome on iPhone or iPad without jailbreak on older versions of iOS?
1. Open this page in the Safari browser on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Copy the following line:
3. Press the button Share and select from the menu “Add bookmark”…
4. Specify a convenient location to save the bookmark and rename it, for example, Open in Chrome, click Save…
5. Press the button Bookmarks and press the button Edit…
6. Select the bookmark created in step 4 Open in Chrome… It will open in edit mode.
7. In the URL field, remove the link and paste the text that you copied in step 2.
8. Click Done…
9. Now, in order to open any page in the Google Chrome browser, click on the button Bookmarks and select the created bookmark Open in Chrome after which the link will open in Chrome.